Perpendicular line to the Surface

by τheory
Tags: line, perpendicular, surface
Share this thread:
τheory
May13-12, 07:21 PM
P: 43
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Consider the line perpendicular to the surface [itex]z=x^2+y^2[/itex] at the point where x = −1 and y = 2 Find a vector parametric equation for this line in terms of the parameter t.

3. The attempt at a solution
I wasn't quite sure how to go about with this problem so I just went along with the following ideas. I first took the gradient of the function at that point:

[itex]0=x^2+y^2-z[/itex]
[itex]∇F(x,y,z)= <2x,2y,-1>[/itex]
[itex]∇F(-1,2,0)= <-2,4,-1>[/itex]

Then I constructed the vector parametric equation of the line at that point:

[itex]L(t) = P + t∇F[/itex]
[itex]L(t) = <-1,2,0> + t<-2,4,-1>[/itex]

Afterwards, I submitted this equation, only finding that it was incorrect; can someone explain to me what went wrong here?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
LCKurtz
May13-12, 07:26 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 7,566
When ##x=-1## and ##y=2##, ##z## isn't zero.
τheory
May13-12, 07:28 PM
P: 43
Wow haha that was a horrible miscalculation on my part. Thanks for pointing that out!

Register to reply