Maxwell Lagrangian

by Petraa
Tags: lagrangian, maxwell
Share this thread:
Petraa
Nov14-12, 11:53 AM
P: 7
Hello,

Where can I find a good explanation (book) of the derivation via Noether's theorem of the three momentum and angular momentum operators of the usual maxwell lagrangian ?

Thank you!
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Optimum inertial self-propulsion design for snowman-like nanorobot
The Quantum Cheshire Cat: Can neutrons be located at a different place than their own spin?
A transistor-like amplifier for single photons
dextercioby
Nov14-12, 12:34 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,896
This is standard QFT (actually QED) material, any thorough book should have it. Check out a nice treatment in Chapter 2 of F. Gross' "Relativistic Quantum Mechanics and Field Theory", Wiley, 1999.

In purely classical context (no operators), advanced electrodynamics books should also have this.
Petraa
Nov14-12, 01:03 PM
Quote Quote by dextercioby View Post
This is standard QFT (actually QED) material, any thorough book should have it. Check out a nice treatment in Chapter 2 of F. Gross' "Relativistic Quantum Mechanics and Field Theory", Wiley, 1999.

In purely classical context (no operators), advanced electrodynamics books should also have this.
I've been watching the book and yes, the book treats it but don't deduce them. He just announces and perform some calculations with them

dextercioby
Nov14-12, 01:29 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Maxwell Lagrangian

Can you calculate [itex] T^{\mu\nu} [/itex] and [itex] M^{\lambda}_{~~\mu\nu} [/itex] from the Lagrangian and the general Noether formula which for the energy-momentum 4 tensor reads:

[itex] T^{\mu}_{~~\nu} [/itex] = ([itex] \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}A_{\rho})}[/itex] [itex] -\mathcal{L}\delta^{\mu}_{\lambda} [/itex]) X [itex] \frac{\partial x'^{\lambda}}{\partial\epsilon^{\nu}} [/itex],

where

[tex] x'^{\mu} = x^{\mu} + \epsilon^{\mu} [/tex]
Petraa
Nov14-12, 01:57 PM
Can you calculate [itex] T^{\mu\nu} [/itex] and [itex] M^{\lambda}_{~~\mu\nu} [/itex] from the Lagrangian and the general Noether formula which for the energy-momentum 4 tensor reads:

[itex] T^{\mu}_{~~\nu} [/itex] = ([itex] \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}A_{\rho})}[/itex] [itex] -\mathcal{L}\delta^{\mu}_{\lambda} [/itex]) X [itex] \frac{\partial x'^{\lambda}}{\partial\epsilon^{\nu}} [/itex],

where

I'll try it.
Petraa
Nov14-12, 04:34 PM

where

[tex] T^{\mu\nu}=-F^{\mu\nu}\partial^{\nu}A_{\rho}+\frac{1}{4}F^{2}g^{\mu\nu}[/tex]

And now? How I relate this to the momentum and total angular momentum operators ?
dextercioby
Nov14-12, 04:41 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
The momentum should be [itex] T^{0i} [/itex], just like energy is [itex] T^{00} [/itex]. For angular momentum, you should derive the general formula using the linearized version of a general Lorentz transformation (i.e. a linearized space-time rotation):

x'μ=xμμ ν xν, where

ϵμν = - ϵνμ

A minor change

Tμν=−FμρνAρ+1/4 F2gμν
Meir Achuz
Nov20-12, 12:29 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 1,991
Quote Quote by Petraa View Post
Hello,

Where can I find a good explanation (book) of the derivation via Noether's theorem of the three momentum and angular momentum operators of the usual maxwell lagrangian ?
Thank you!
I too would be interested in seeing this for EM angular momentum.
Every place, I have looked seems to use the result in some form without actually deriving it.
LayMuon
Nov25-12, 11:17 AM
P: 147
Quote Quote by Petraa View Post
Hello,

Thank you!
Maggiore "Modern introduction in QFT"

Register to reply