Existence and Uniqueness of solutions

In summary, the conversation discusses a question from a previous midterm and the need to fully understand a concept for an upcoming final. The concept being discussed is the existence and uniqueness of solutions for a given function. The conversation also includes a discussion of a simpler example to illustrate the concept. It is important to note that for a solution to be continuous throughout the entire interval, the values of δ1 and δ2 may need to be restricted.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

These questions were on my midterm a while ago. I want to understand this concept fully as I'm certain these will appear on my final tomorrow and I didn't do as well as I would've liked on these questions.

http://gyazo.com/205b0f7d720abbcc555a5abe64805b62

Homework Equations

Existence : Suppose f(t,y) is a continuous function defined in some region R, say :

R = { (x,y) | x0 - δ < x < x0 + δ, y0 - ε < y < y0 + ε }

containing the point (x0, y0). Then there exists δ1 ≤ δ so that the solution y = f(t) is defined for x0 - δ1 < x < x0 + δ1.

Uniqueness : Suppose f(t,y) and fy are continuous in a region R as above. Then there exists δ2 ≤ δ1 such that the solution y = f(t) whose existence is guaranteed from the theorem above is also a unique solution for x0 - δ2 < x < x0 + δ2.

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, I'll start by discussing the first dot y' = 1 + y + y2cos(t), y(t0) = y0 on I = ℝ.

Suppose f(t,y) = 1 + y + y2cos(t), then fy = 1 + 2ycos(t). Notice both f and fy are continuous for all (t,y) in I. Thus by our theorems, we can conclude that a solution exists in some open interval centered around t0 and the solution will be unique in some possibly smaller interval also centered at t0.

This looks like a Riccati equation to me. I'm not sure if I should solve it, or continue my argument here.

Any pointers would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry for the double post, but I think I have something to add. What I was confused about is if I had to pick values for δ1 and δ2 as to make the solution continuous throughout the interval. Solving the equations he gave is actually quite difficult, so I'll give a simpler example to get my point across.

So for example, suppose I had y' = 1 + y2 with the condition y(0) = 0 and I = ℝ.

Then f(t,y) = 1 + y2 and fy = 2y are defined and continuous everywhere for all (t,y) in I. Thus by our theorems, we can conclude that a solution exists in some open interval centered around 0 and the solution will be unique in some possibly smaller interval also centered at 0.

Solving the equation by separation yields y = tan(x). Notice that tan(x) has discontinuities at ±π/2, ±3π/2, ±5π/2, etc. So the solution is not continuous through the whole interval I.

So for y=tan(x) to be a solution, we have to restrict the domain of t to be in the open interval (-π/2, π/2).

So while we can pick δ as large as we like since f(t,y) is continuous, we would have to pick δ1 = δ2 = π/2 as to make our solution unique.

I'm having a bit of trouble relating this to the much more difficult equations given.

What is the concept of existence and uniqueness of solutions?

The existence and uniqueness of solutions is a mathematical concept that refers to the presence and distinctiveness of solutions to a given mathematical equation or problem. It ensures that there is at least one solution and that it is the only solution to the problem.

Why is the existence and uniqueness of solutions important?

The existence and uniqueness of solutions is important because it guarantees the validity and reliability of mathematical models and equations. It also helps in determining the accuracy and precision of solutions to real-world problems.

What is the difference between existence and uniqueness of solutions?

The existence of solutions refers to the fact that there is at least one solution to a mathematical problem, while uniqueness refers to the fact that there is only one solution. In other words, existence ensures that a solution exists, while uniqueness ensures that it is the only solution.

How is the existence and uniqueness of solutions proven?

The existence and uniqueness of solutions can be proven through various mathematical techniques, such as the Picard-Lindelöf theorem, the Cauchy-Lipschitz theorem, and the Banach fixed-point theorem. These theorems provide conditions under which existence and uniqueness can be guaranteed.

What happens if the existence and uniqueness of solutions cannot be proven?

If the existence and uniqueness of solutions cannot be proven, it means that the mathematical problem is ill-posed or that the given conditions are not sufficient to ensure the existence and uniqueness of solutions. In such cases, alternative methods or approaches may be needed to find solutions.