Existence and Uniqueness of solutions

by Zondrina
Tags: existence, solutions, uniqueness
Share this thread:
Zondrina
Dec5-12, 10:50 AM
P: 1,481
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

These questions were on my midterm a while ago. I want to understand this concept fully as I'm certain these will appear on my final tomorrow and I didn't do as well as I would've liked on these questions.

http://gyazo.com/205b0f7d720abbcc555a5abe64805b62

2. Relevant equations

Existence : Suppose f(t,y) is a continuous function defined in some region R, say :

R = { (x,y) | x0 - δ < x < x0 + δ, y0 - ε < y < y0 + ε }

containing the point (x0, y0). Then there exists δ1 ≤ δ so that the solution y = f(t) is defined for x0 - δ1 < x < x0 + δ1.

Uniqueness : Suppose f(t,y) and fy are continuous in a region R as above. Then there exists δ2 ≤ δ1 such that the solution y = f(t) whose existence is guaranteed from the theorem above is also a unique solution for x0 - δ2 < x < x0 + δ2.

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay, I'll start by discussing the first dot y' = 1 + y + y2cos(t), y(t0) = y0 on I = ℝ.

Suppose f(t,y) = 1 + y + y2cos(t), then fy = 1 + 2ycos(t). Notice both f and fy are continuous for all (t,y) in I. Thus by our theorems, we can conclude that a solution exists in some open interval centered around t0 and the solution will be unique in some possibly smaller interval also centered at t0.

This looks like a Riccati equation to me. I'm not sure if I should solve it, or continue my argument here.

Any pointers would be great.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
Zondrina
Dec5-12, 01:42 PM
P: 1,481
Sorry for the double post, but I think I have something to add. What I was confused about is if I had to pick values for δ1 and δ2 as to make the solution continuous throughout the interval. Solving the equations he gave is actually quite difficult, so I'll give a simpler example to get my point across.

So for example, suppose I had y' = 1 + y2 with the condition y(0) = 0 and I = ℝ.

Then f(t,y) = 1 + y2 and fy = 2y are defined and continuous everywhere for all (t,y) in I. Thus by our theorems, we can conclude that a solution exists in some open interval centered around 0 and the solution will be unique in some possibly smaller interval also centered at 0.

Solving the equation by separation yields y = tan(x). Notice that tan(x) has discontinuities at π/2, 3π/2, 5π/2, etc. So the solution is not continuous through the whole interval I.

So for y=tan(x) to be a solution, we have to restrict the domain of t to be in the open interval (-π/2, π/2).

So while we can pick δ as large as we like since f(t,y) is continuous, we would have to pick δ1 = δ2 = π/2 as to make our solution unique.

I'm having a bit of trouble relating this to the much more difficult equations given.

Register to reply