When to use HYBRIdiZED ORBITAL?

by kougou
Tags: hybridized, orbital
Share this thread:
kougou
Dec9-12, 09:31 PM
P: 82
Hi.

I am wondering when should we use hybridized orbital?
For PH3, we don't use hybridized orbital because it could be described by the valence shell method.
The valence shell orbital diagram:
p: [Ne] 3s:up down 3p: up up up

And we have 3 up. so the 3 extra electrons from hydrogen could fit into there. Therefore we don't need hybridized orbital.
But when do we need it?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New complex oxides could advance memory devices
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Scientists control surface tension to manipulate liquid metals (w/ Video)
DrDu
Dec10-12, 02:12 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,632
You most need it in the case of tetravalent carbon to get four equivalent bonds using valence bond theory. Most other molecules like NH3, H2O etc. can be described well using only their p-orbitals in bonding.
dextercioby
Dec10-12, 01:22 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,952
Quote Quote by kougou View Post
Hi.

I am wondering when should we use hybridized orbital?
For PH3, we don't use hybridized orbital because it could be described by the valence shell method.
The valence shell orbital diagram:
p: [Ne] 3s:up down 3p: up up up

And we have 3 up. so the 3 extra electrons from hydrogen could fit into there. Therefore we don't need hybridized orbital.
But when do we need it?
Surely we do need hybridized orbitals. The classical Lewis structure is not true at quantum level, the bonding angle between the overlapping electronic probability clouds is not 90deg as predicted by the classical Lewis structure, but approx. 107deg.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigona...cular_geometry

DrDu
Dec10-12, 02:44 PM
Sci Advisor
When to use HYBRIdiZED ORBITAL?

Quote Quote by dextercioby View Post
Surely we do need hybridized orbitals. The classical Lewis structure is not true at quantum level, the bonding angle between the overlapping electronic probability clouds is not 90deg as predicted by the classical Lewis structure, but approx. 107deg.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigona...cular_geometry
That the angle is off from 90 deg, does not mean that you have to use hybrid orbitals, especially in molecules like PH3 where the radii of the s and p orbitals on Phosphorus are too different to make useful hybrids. The bond angle in PH3 is only 93.5 deg.
kougou
Dec10-12, 05:44 PM
Quote Quote by DrDu View Post
That the angle is off from 90 deg, does not mean that you have to use hybrid orbitals, especially in molecules like PH3 where the radii of the s and p orbitals on Phosphorus are too different to make useful hybrids. The bond angle in PH3 is only 93.5 deg.

Hi. I just googled it. Most ppl from the web said for PH3, you will have sp3 hybri orbital, but then from the text, it clearly identify that it doesn't need to use hybri orbital.
So, what do you think?

Can I go wrong if I assume everything will use hybri orbital?
DrDu
Dec11-12, 01:48 AM
Sci Advisor
Quote Quote by kougou View Post
Hi. I just googled it.
Then why do you ask?
kougou
Dec11-12, 01:22 PM
Quote Quote by DrDu View Post
Then why do you ask?
No. I mean. I still unclear whether it should use hybri or not.
The text says no.
Other ppl say yes.
dextercioby
Dec11-12, 02:00 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,952
People may say whatever they want. I would go for a textbook over some 'hearsay' on the (free) internet.

And please, make an effort to write <people>.

Register to reply