Register to reply

How can I be sure that the action has a minimum?

by alialice
Tags: action, minimum
Share this thread:
alialice
Jan18-13, 04:32 AM
P: 51
When you write an action and then you calculate its minima, how can you be sure that they are minima and not maxima?
Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Refocusing research into high-temperature superconductors
Neutron tomography technique reveals phase fractions of crystalline materials in 3-dimensions
Tiny magnets, huge fields: Nanoscale ferromagnetic electrodes create chemical equivalent of solid-state spin valve
G01
Jan18-13, 10:53 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,688
Usually the phrase, "minimizing the action" is somewhat misused and can make things confusing for this reason. Finding the "extreme points" or "stationary points" of the action is what is important. The "principle of least action" is more accurately termed the "principle of stationary action."

For instance, in Lagrangian Mechanics, any path that extremizes the action, i.e. [itex]\delta S=0[/itex], whether minima or maxima, will be a solution to the Euler-Lagrange equation.
andrien
Jan19-13, 02:43 AM
P: 1,020
If the initial and final points are fixed,then action does have a minimum for the correct classical path.But I will have to see a book before conforming it.

Register to reply