Register to reply

Are open sets in R^n always homeomorphic to R^n?

by iLoveTopology
Tags: homeomorphic, sets
Share this thread:
iLoveTopology
Jan19-13, 01:47 PM
P: 11
I know that open intervals in R are homeomorphic to R. But does this extend to any dimension of Euclidean space? (Like an open 4-ball is it homeomorphic to R^4?)

My book doesn't talk about anything general like that and only gives examples from R^2.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Suddenly, the sun is eerily quiet: Where did the sunspots go?
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Mammoth and mastodon behavior was less roam, more stay at home
Bacle2
Jan19-13, 02:47 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,169
No for general open sets; look at, e.g., an open annulus, or any disconnected open set. But an open n-disk D:={x in R^n : ||x||<1 } (or any translation of it) is homeomorphic to R^n.
disregardthat
Jan22-13, 05:37 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,741
Any connected open set in R^n is homeomorphic to R^n, for any n. An open set in R^n is homeomorphic to the disjoint union of equally many R^n's as connected parts of your open set.

Bacle2
Jan22-13, 08:05 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,169
Are open sets in R^n always homeomorphic to R^n?

Actually, an open annulus is open and connected, but not homeomorphic to R^n, since it is not simply-connected.
disregardthat
Jan22-13, 06:14 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,741
Quote Quote by Bacle2 View Post
Actually, an open annulus is open and connected, but not homeomorphic to R^n, since it is not simply-connected.
thanks for the correction, i meant simply connected :)
micromass
Jan22-13, 07:13 PM
Mentor
P: 18,010
Quote Quote by disregardthat View Post
thanks for the correction, i meant simply connected :)
Also not true, then open set [itex]B(0,1)\setminus\{0\}[/itex] of [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] is simply connected but not homeomorphic to [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex].
mathwonk
Jan23-13, 04:31 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,453
notice R^n is contractible. But even that is not enough. Look at this:

http://math.stackexchange.com/questi...c-to-mathbb-rn

Register to reply