Transistor activated by finger on base

In summary, when you touch the transistor's base, you capacitively couple the charge into the transistor. This is why ESD can kill electronics.
mitocondrio
So... My transistor does the switching job when I put my finger on its base. I know that NPN transistor are activated with positive charge, so... What happens between transistor, my finger and the earth? What happens to the charge? I don't know much about this, I would like an introduction.
Also, PNP transistors should be activated with a positive charge on the base... So how do them work? Please help me! Thanks :)
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have built up some charge in your body. When you touch the base you are capacitively coupling that charge into the transistor. That's why ESD can kill electronics.

Seems like wikipedia would be a good place for you to start.

Hi there, well it's not that easy to imagine the specific setup you have there , well people have different body capacity and resistance , well if that is a BJT then as you probably know the current flows also from the base so unless you can make sufficient current flow the transistor should close after the current is too little to maintain emitter-collector flow.

A MOSFET could either stay open or closed depending on the charge put on it's gate but that is a different case because in a MOSFET the gate is isolated so acts as a capacitor but in a bipolar the base is part of the circuit, so where do you get the charge to put in that BJT to keep it open?
By the way it would be great if you could say the transistor part number/model.And tell more about the circuit you have.
Are you just measuring the transistor or is it in a circuit and then being measured or what?

Could be your body picking up the mains and acting like a AC signal injector.

1. How does a transistor activated by finger on base work?

A transistor activated by finger on base works by using the body's natural capacitance to control the flow of current. When a finger is placed on the base of the transistor, it creates a small electrical charge that allows current to flow through the transistor.

2. What is the purpose of a transistor activated by finger on base?

The purpose of a transistor activated by finger on base is to provide a simple and low-cost method of controlling electrical circuits. It can be used in touch-sensitive switches, sensors, and other devices that require a human touch to activate.

3. What are the advantages of a transistor activated by finger on base?

One of the main advantages of a transistor activated by finger on base is its simplicity and low cost. It also does not require any external power source, making it ideal for use in remote or low-power applications. Additionally, it is highly sensitive and can detect even the slightest touch.

4. Are there any limitations to using a transistor activated by finger on base?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a transistor activated by finger on base. One limitation is that it can only detect touch on the base of the transistor, so it may not be suitable for all types of touch-sensitive applications. It also may be affected by environmental factors such as temperature and humidity, which can affect the capacitance of the human body.

5. How can I use a transistor activated by finger on base in my own projects?

A transistor activated by finger on base can be easily incorporated into your own projects by connecting it to an electrical circuit and using it as a switch or sensor. There are many tutorials and resources available online that can help you get started with using this type of transistor in your projects.