Solving Machine Problem 1: Frictionless Steel Shuttle

• Thread starter amrit2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Machine
In summary, a problem involving a steel shuttle being pulled by an elastic cord at an angle was discussed. The shuttle has a mass of 800g and the cord has a tension of 20N at a 45-degree angle. The speaker knows how to solve the problem but is unsure why friction is not considered. They mention that in introductory physics, certain elements like mass and resistance are often ignored to make the math easier. The term "fixed unlubricated" suggests that friction may be a factor, but it may also refer to considering rolling instead of sliding. The speaker also notes that textbook questions may seem confusing or incomplete because they were originally longer and had a second part, but were shortened for new editions or lower level courses
amrit2
1. A machine has a steel shuttle that is moving along a fixed unlubricated steel rail pulled by an elastic shuttle cord, which is at an angle

The shuttle has a mass of 800g and is released when the elastic cord has 20N tension at an angle of 45 degrees.

I know how to solve the problem, but I do not know why friction does not play a role here.

Physics news on Phys.org
amrit2 said:
I know how to solve the problem, but I do not know why friction does not play a role here.
Because you are in an introductory class and it makes the maths too hard.

It's the strange world of classroom physics, where springs have no mass, air has no resistance and inclined planes go on for ever!

What strikes me though is the term "fixed unlubricated," which makes it seem as if the problem is trying to hint that there is friction.

It would normally mean you are considering a rolling rather than sliding wheel - this makes a difference because of angualr momentum.
Often the questiosn don't make sense because they were originally longer and had a second part that needed the extra info - but for a new edition, or a lower level course they chop off part 2.

If you ever think - "is it me or is this a stupid question in the textbook", consider how little money you get for writing and checking textbook questions!

1. What is the purpose of solving Machine Problem 1: Frictionless Steel Shuttle?

The purpose of solving this machine problem is to understand the concept of friction and its effects on a steel shuttle. By solving this problem, we can also improve our problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities.

2. What are the key components involved in this machine problem?

The key components involved in this machine problem are the steel shuttle, the surface it is moving on, and the forces acting on it. These forces include the weight of the shuttle, the normal force from the surface, and the force of friction.

3. How does friction affect the movement of the steel shuttle?

Friction is a force that acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion. In the case of the steel shuttle, friction between the shuttle and the surface it is moving on will slow down its motion and eventually bring it to a stop.

4. How can we solve this machine problem?

To solve this machine problem, we can use equations and principles from Newton's laws of motion and basic physics concepts. We can also use tools such as free-body diagrams and vector analysis to visualize and solve the problem.

5. Why is understanding friction important for scientists and engineers?

Friction is present in almost all physical interactions and can greatly affect the performance and efficiency of machines and structures. Therefore, understanding friction is crucial for scientists and engineers to design and create more effective and efficient technologies.