The double Atwood machine has frictionless, massless pulleys

In summary, the double atwood machine has frictionless, massless pulleys and cords. The accelerations of masses ma, mb, and mc, and the tensions Fta and Ftc in the cords can be determined.
berkdude022

Homework Statement

The double Atwood machine has frictionless, massless pulleys and cords. Determine (a) the acceleration of masses ma, mb, and mc, and (b) the tensions Fta and Ftc in the cords.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

So I drew free body diagrams for the mass A, mass B, mass C, and the lower hanging pulley.

I then computed these equations from F=ma:Fta - ma = maaa
Fta - mb = mbab
2Fta = Ftc
Ftc - mc = mcac

This is all assuming that there is currently no relationship between the accelerations. And this is where I am stuck. I do not know how to represent ac as that of aa and ab. Or maybe that isn't the correct way to solve the system either. The only thing that I assume is that the tensions for ma and mb are the same. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1511.JPG
    IMG_1511.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 749
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you relate the acceleration of the lower pulley to the acceleration of mass C?

There is a simple way to relate the acceleration of mass A and mass B to the acceleration of the lower pulley. I don't want to spoil it, yet I'm not sure how to hint at it o0)

Have another go at it, just remember that the length of each string is constant.

Nathanael said:
Can you relate the acceleration of the lower pulley to the acceleration of mass C?

There is a simple way to relate the acceleration of mass A and mass B to the acceleration of the lower pulley. I don't want to spoil it, yet I'm not sure how to hint at it o0)

Have another go at it, just remember that the length of each string is constant.
So I believe that the acceleration of mass B is the negative of mass A; or aa = -ab.
But I have looked into how the system would react to m3 accelerating downwards with a constant string length, and I just cannot understand it. Like, I want to believe that as m3 moves down a distance L, that the length of the lower hanging pulley also moves at that same L as do the masses ma and mb.

berkdude022 said:
So I believe that the acceleration of mass B is the negative of mass A; or aa = -ab.
This would be true for a single atwood-machine with two blocks A and B, but it is not quite right in our situation.
(For example, if ma=mb, then they will have the same acceleration in the same direction and it will not necessarily be zero.)

berkdude022 said:
But I have looked into how the system would react to m3 accelerating downwards with a constant string length, and I just cannot understand it. Like, I want to believe that as m3 moves down a distance L, that the length of the lower hanging pulley also moves at that same L as do the masses ma and mb.
m3 is mass C?

Anyway, consider the acceleration of the center of the lower pulley. What is it's relationship to ac?

When you think about the acceleration of A and B, try to imagine it as being from two parts: partly from the acceleration of the lower pulley and partly from the movement of the string.

Nathanael said:
This would be true for a single atwood-machine with two blocks A and B, but it is not quite right in our situation.
(For example, if ma=mb, then they will have the same acceleration in the same direction and it will not necessarily be zero.)
Wait, why exactly would the accelerations not be opposite for these masses? If the pulley system is moved up, wouldn't they be affected in opposite directions?

Nathanael said:
Anyway, consider the acceleration of the center of the lower pulley. What is it's relation ship to ac?
I would think that the lower pulley's acceleration would be the opposite of the acceleration of mass c.

berkdude022 said:
Wait, why exactly would the accelerations not be opposite for these masses? If the pulley system is moved up, wouldn't they be affected in opposite directions?
A special case to imagine, pretend A and B have the same mass: if the lower-pulley moves up then they will both move up with it, so the accelerations are not opposite.

berkdude022 said:
I would think that the lower pulley's acceleration would be the opposite of the acceleration of mass c.
Right, because the length of string can't change (if C moves up an amount, then the center of the pulley must move down by the same amount).

Consider the reference frame of the lower-pulley (just ignore the upper pulley and mass C for now). In this reference frame it is a normal atwood-machine, and so A and B have equal and opposite accelerations. Let's call the accelerations of A and B in this reference frame +aD and -aD. Now when we switch back to the original frame, we must add the acceleration of the lower-pulley, which I'll call ap. This means the accelerations of A and B are ap+aD and ap-aD.

Likes Sho Kano

1. What is a double Atwood machine?

A double Atwood machine is a mechanical system that consists of two masses connected by a string passing over a pulley. It is commonly used to demonstrate concepts of Newton's laws of motion and forces.

2. What does it mean for the pulleys to be frictionless and massless?

Frictionless and massless pulleys are idealized components in a double Atwood machine that do not contribute to the overall mass or energy of the system. They are also assumed to have no resistance to movement, allowing the masses to move freely without any loss of energy.

3. How does frictionless and massless pulleys affect the motion of the system?

Frictionless and massless pulleys allow the system to move with minimal resistance, resulting in smoother and more accurate motion. This allows for easier analysis and calculation of the forces and accelerations involved in the system.

4. Are there any real-world applications of the double Atwood machine with frictionless and massless pulleys?

While the double Atwood machine with frictionless and massless pulleys is mostly used in physics demonstrations, it can also be found in real-world applications such as weightlifting machines and elevators.

5. Are there any limitations to using frictionless and massless pulleys in the double Atwood machine model?

While frictionless and massless pulleys are useful for simplifying calculations and understanding the basic principles of the double Atwood machine, they do not accurately represent real-world conditions. In reality, all components will have some degree of friction and mass, which can affect the motion of the system.