Exploring Options When Dropping Out of School

In summary: It's never too late to change your mind, and if you decide to go back to school, you'll have a much better foundation to build on.In summary, most people don't enjoy school when they're first starting out, but eventually they grow to enjoy it. If you're not happy with school, there are many options available to you, but you'll have to be determined and work hard to find them.
th3chemist
Well, I'm in 5th year and I want to drop out. I find school boring, a waste of time and homework just horrendous.

But I don't know what to do. Either die in school or die outside.

What is there to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Alot besides dying, but you can always do that, in fact you will at sometime! Spread your wings, and accept the fact that you'll be bored at times.

You have to define your own path. We can't do it for you.

th3chemist said:
Well, I'm in 5th year and I want to drop out. I find school boring, a waste of time and homework just horrendous.

What is there to do?

Not enough information to solve this problem.

Why not just graduate?

Topher925 said:
Why not just graduate?

I already graduated.

Er... isn't it a bit too late to drop out then?

TMFKAN64 said:
Er... isn't it a bit too late to drop out then?

5th year.

Whew. I was wondering how an eleven-year-old kid could just drop out of school. :rolleyes:

Knowledge is empowering. Strive to be the best you can be in whatever your passions are. Be competitive, be yourself. Enjoy what you have because these miserable days you have are going to be just as memorable as the best days of your life and you have to learn to keep a smile on your face with any endeavor you chooose. If you don't know if its right or wrong, its wrong. Take that to heart. If you are 100% sure it is right, than it is. That or you need some counseling. lol goodluck

th3chemist said:

What is there to do?

I'm not familiar with your education system. When does the school year end? Try to hang in there and do the best you can until its over. Afterward, reflect on your experiences for awhile and then consider your decision carefully. This is a major decision in your life and it is important for you to consider the possible regrets you may have as you get older.

From my experience as a former teacher, I saw many teachers that were in the profession for around ten years or so who didn't enjoy the job right from the get go. They didn't leave the profession initially but stuck with it instead. They found out ten years later that they were "stuck". Some had families, others had mortgages, etc.; leaving the profession at this state meant taking a drastic salary-cut and causing even more strain on one's life. This is not the exact same situation as yours, but hopefully there is something here for you to consider.

I wish you the best with your decision.

EDIT: Remember that anything worthwhile requires very hard work and personal sacrifice.

I think then the big question is how are you planning on making a living?

You don't necessarily have to go to university or even graduate from high school to do this. But if you don't go the "easy route", you better have a plan. You can exploit a talent, learn a trade, etc. etc. But if you don't have a better idea, better stay in school. It will make your life easier in the end.

Don't you only have a few months to go?If so stick to it, take your exams and then decide what to try.

th3chemist said:
...I find school boring, a waste of time and homework just horrendous. ...

School can be boring an homework horrendous, but it's always worth looking at the bigger picture. Studying things in school is different from 'the real world', a lot of the homework/boring stuff is there so that when you come through it, you'll be able to show people that you're capable. Everyone's been there and people do lose-sight of things at various points in education, I've been through similar dilemna's during my time at university. The thing to consider is that since you don't know what you want to do in life yet (who does at your age!), for the time being, the best option is to keep your options open. Staying for the rest of the year is worth the struggle even if to show that you can do it.

I myself had a big change in ideas about my future during my time in 6th year - and ended up changing my choice of university course at the last moment. The subjects studied in school might be boring, but they represent the tip-of-the-iceberg, and are more about teaching technique rather than getting at the 'interesting' stuff, so that's all to be expected. There's always a future to be had, and regardless of the time you're having in 5th year just now, there's still plenty of opportunities to come.

I don't think you'll find nearly as many people who will say dropping out of school was the "best decision" they've ever made as you will find saying it was the "worst decision" they've ever made.

It's your decision though, just make sure you think of what consequences it may bring.

If it's a choice between sleep and homework, choose sleep. Aim do as much as you can to keep teachers happy-ish--don't be perfectionist. Overwork & stress leads to the sort of feelings you're having. So, if you think this is the case in your case, reduce the work you are doing to a bearable level. Could you not 'drop out' of subjects you hate? I managed to drop out of metalwork to take a free study period, and just stopped working in French. Didn't do my academic progress any harm at all, in fact it probably helped--I could do more physics under less stress.

Related to Exploring Options When Dropping Out of School

1. What are the potential consequences of dropping out of school?

Dropping out of school can have both short-term and long-term consequences. In the short-term, dropping out may limit job opportunities and earning potential. It can also lead to feelings of failure and disappointment. In the long-term, dropping out may make it more difficult to pursue higher education or advance in a career.

2. What are some alternative options to dropping out of school?

There are several alternative options to dropping out of school, such as transferring to a different school, taking a gap year to explore other interests, or enrolling in a vocational or trade program. It's important to carefully consider these options and their potential impact on your future goals before making a decision.

3. How can I determine if dropping out of school is the right decision for me?

It's important to carefully weigh the pros and cons and consider your long-term goals before making the decision to drop out of school. It may also be helpful to seek advice from a trusted mentor, counselor, or academic advisor who can provide guidance and help you explore other options.

4. How can I prepare for the challenges of re-entering school after dropping out?

If you do end up dropping out of school, it's important to stay engaged in learning and continue developing your skills and knowledge. This can include enrolling in online courses, volunteering, or finding internships or other hands-on experiences in your field of interest. This will help you stay academically and professionally engaged and make the transition back to school smoother.

5. Are there resources available for students who are considering dropping out of school?

Yes, there are resources available for students who are considering dropping out of school. These can include academic advisors, career counselors, and mental health professionals who can offer support and guidance. Additionally, there may be financial aid or scholarship opportunities specifically for students who are at risk of dropping out of school.