Path Equation for 2D weakly-anisotropic harmonic oscillator

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the path equation using the given equations and attempting to simplify it using trigonometric identities. The symbols \omega_{x} and \omega_{y} represent the angular frequencies in the x-axis and y-axis respectively. The suggested approach is to substitute the values and expand the equation using the small parameter \epsilon.
lightbearer88

Homework Statement

[tex]\omega_{x}[/tex] = [tex]\omega[/tex]

[tex]\omega_{y}[/tex] = [tex]\omega[/tex] + [tex]\epsilon[/tex]

where 0 < [tex]\epsilon[/tex]<<[tex]\omega[/tex]

Question: Find the path equation.

Homework Equations

I started with the 2D equations:

x(t) = A[tex]_{x}[/tex]cos([tex]\omega_{x}[/tex]t + [tex]\phi_{x}[/tex])
y(t) = A[tex]_{y}[/tex]cos([tex]\omega_{y}[/tex]t + [tex]\phi_{y}[/tex])

The Attempt at a Solution

by inverting x(t) to get t(x), I then substituted the result into y(t). The result is as below:

y(x) = A[tex]_{y}[/tex]cos[([tex]\omega_{x}[/tex]/[tex]\omega_{y}[/tex])cos[tex]^{-1}[/tex](x/A[tex]_{x}[/tex]) - ([tex]\omega_{x}[/tex]/[tex]\omega_{y}[/tex])[tex]\phi_{x}[/tex] + [tex]\phi_{y}[/tex]]

I guess it becomes more of a mathematical problem. How do I simplify this equation, hopefully to find something familiar? An idea I had was to use double-angle trig formulas but I am not sure how it would help.

I personally think this is quite challenging. I have been thinking about it for days now. I tried all the trig identities I know off to manipulate the equation but I can't seem to get it. Unless I am missing something.

Thanks in advance.

PS: A^x is actually A(subscript)x and similarly, A^y is actually A(subscript)y. I don't know what is wrong with the formatting.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
maybe I should define what the symbols are:

[tex]\omega_{x}[/tex] is the angular frequency in the x-axis
[tex]\omega_{y}[/tex] is the angular frequency in the y-axis

I'd try to substitute the [tex]\omega[/tex] you have and then try to expand it by small parameter [tex]\epsilon[/tex]...

1. What is a 2D weakly-anisotropic harmonic oscillator?

A 2D weakly-anisotropic harmonic oscillator is a physical system that exhibits harmonic motion in two dimensions and has a small degree of anisotropy, meaning that the system's properties vary slightly in different directions.

2. What is the path equation for a 2D weakly-anisotropic harmonic oscillator?

The path equation for a 2D weakly-anisotropic harmonic oscillator is a differential equation that describes the motion of the system over time. It is typically written as x'' + ω²x = 0, where x is the position of the system, x'' is the acceleration, and ω is the angular frequency.

3. How does anisotropy affect the behavior of a 2D weakly-anisotropic harmonic oscillator?

Anisotropy can cause the system to exhibit different behaviors in different directions, such as varying amplitudes or frequencies of oscillation. It can also introduce coupling between the two dimensions, leading to more complex motion.

4. What are the applications of the path equation for a 2D weakly-anisotropic harmonic oscillator?

The path equation for a 2D weakly-anisotropic harmonic oscillator has applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It can be used to model the behavior of physical systems, such as vibrating structures, and to study the properties of waves and oscillations.

5. How is the path equation for a 2D weakly-anisotropic harmonic oscillator solved?

The path equation can be solved using various methods, such as separation of variables, Laplace transforms, or numerical techniques. The solution will depend on the initial conditions of the system and the specific parameters of the equation.