How can the area of a region bounded by a graph be found when given an integral?

• Thread starter steelphantom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the area of the region bounded by the graph of y^2 = x^2 - x^4. The person initially had trouble evaluating the integral but eventually realized that it could be simplified by factoring. They also discussed the importance of taking into account a factor of 1/2 in the integral. Finally, they concluded that the total area of the four segments is 4/3.
steelphantom
This problem has me stumped because I can't figure out how to find the area of the region. I got an integral, but I don't know how to evaluate it. Here's the problem:

Find the area of the region bounded by the graph of [tex]y^2 = x^2 - x^4[/tex].

I solved the equation for y and got [tex]y = \pm\sqrt{x^2 - x^4}[/tex].

If I graph it, it looks like a bow tie with four symmetrical regions, so I decided to find the area of the top-right region. Here's the integral I came up with:

[tex]\int_{0}^{1} \sqrt{x^2 - x^4} dx[/tex].

That's all well and good I guess, but I have no idea how to evaluate that integral! As far as I know, I don't yet have the calculus knowledge to solve that type of integral. Should I solve for x and put the integral in terms of y?

Physics news on Phys.org
steelphantom said:
This problem has me stumped because I can't figure out how to find the area of the region. I got an integral, but I don't know how to evaluate it. Here's the problem:

Find the area of the region bounded by the graph of [tex]y^2 = x^2 - x^4[/tex].

I solved the equation for y and got [tex]y = \pm\sqrt{x^2 - x^4}[/tex].

If I graph it, it looks like a bow tie with four symmetrical regions, so I decided to find the area of the top-right region. Here's the integral I came up with:

[tex]\int_{0}^{1} \sqrt{x^2 - x^4} dx[/tex].

That's all well and good I guess, but I have no idea how to evaluate that integral! As far as I know, I don't yet have the calculus knowledge to solve that type of integral. Should I solve for x and put the integral in terms of y?

Did you consider factoring:
[tex]\sqrt{x^2- x^4}= \sqrt{x^2(1- x^2)}= x\sqrt{1- x^2}[/tex]
Looks like an easy substitution now.

Duh! That was it! I did that and got an area of 2/3 for one segment, so I multiplied by 4 and got a total area of 8/3 for the whole thing. Does that sound right? Thanks for the help!

steelphantom said:
Duh! That was it! I did that and got an area of 2/3 for one segment, so I multiplied by 4 and got a total area of 8/3 for the whole thing. Does that sound right? Thanks for the help!
Did you take into account the factor of 1/2 in [itex]-\frac{1}{2}du= xdx[/itex]?

HallsofIvy said:
Did you take into account the factor of 1/2 in [itex]-\frac{1}{2}du= xdx[/itex]?

Sorry about the delayed response; I was gone for a few days. I kind of rushed through it and must have skipped the factor. So the area would be 4/3 then, correct?

[tex]\int_{0}^{1} \sqrt{x^2 - x^4} dx= \int_0^1 \sqrt{1- x^2}x dx[/tex]

Let [itex]u= 1- x^2[/itex] so [itex]du= -2x dx[/itex] or [itex]-\frac{1}{2}du= x dx[/itex]. When x= 0, u= 1 and when x= 1, u= 0 so the integral becomes
[tex]-\frac{1}{2}\int_1^0 u^{\frac{1}{2}}du= \int_0^1 u^{\frac{1}{2}}du= \frac{1}{2}\fra{2}{3}u^{\frac{3}{2}\right}_{u=0}^1= \frac{1}{3}[/tex]
Each segment has area 1/3 so all 4 have area 4/3.

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a region?

The formula for finding the area of a region varies depending on the shape of the region. For example, to find the area of a rectangle, the formula is length x width. To find the area of a circle, the formula is πr², where r is the radius. It's important to know the specific formula for the shape you are working with.

2. How do I know which measurements to use when finding the area of a region?

To find the area of a region, you need to know the appropriate measurements for the shape. For example, for a rectangle, you need to know the length and width. For a triangle, you need to know the base and height. Make sure to identify and measure the correct dimensions before calculating the area.

3. Can I find the area of a region by counting squares on a grid?

Yes, you can estimate the area of a region by counting squares on a grid. This method is called the grid method and is commonly used for irregular shapes. However, it is not as accurate as using the appropriate formula for the shape.

4. Is it important to include units when finding the area of a region?

Yes, it is important to include units when finding the area of a region. The unit of measurement will depend on the shape of the region. For example, the unit for a rectangle could be square inches, while the unit for a circle could be square centimeters. Always make sure to include the correct unit for your answer.

5. What is the difference between perimeter and area?

Perimeter is the distance around the outside of a shape, while area is the measure of the space inside a shape. Perimeter is measured in linear units, such as inches or meters, while area is measured in square units, such as square inches or square meters. It's important to know the difference between these two measurements when working with shapes.