Lubricants and Linear Potentiometers

• Thread starter scott_alexsk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear
In summary, Scott is seeking advice on how to decrease the friction of a potentiometer he is using to measure the length change of a wire. He has already tried using counterbalances and WD40, but they have not been effective. He is looking for a cheap solution, and has considered using LVDTs but finds them too expensive. Suggestions such as using a simple string pot or a draw wire have been given, but Scott is concerned about their actuating force being too high for his needs. He requires a minimum resolution of 5/1000 of an inch.
scott_alexsk
Hello,

I have a potentiometer which I am using to measure the length change of a wire. The friction of the pot has been a real headache to me, and I am trying to figure out a way to decrease the friction( in both directions, I have already tried using counterbalances, and it just takes too long to shift them around w/ the number of cycles I am doing). I have already destroyed one pot by using wd40, so does anyone have any cheap ideas to decrease the friction of this thing(I know about LVDTs but there are pretty pricey to my knowledge). If you want to see an image of it, google "Phidget slider 60", and you will see one.

Thanks,
-Scott

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you tried a simple string pot? Without knowing the degree of inaccuracy you are willing to tolerate, it's tough to make suggestions.

http://www.dataq.com/applicat/articles/stringpot.htm

http://www.me-us.com/draw-wire/

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the resolution I need is at a minimum 5/1000 of an inch (which is what I currently have). The problem with using the string pots is that the actuating force on those is relatively large for what I am doing (I have essentially built a little tensile machine). Currently the actuating force of my linear pot is about 0.5 Newtons, and that is too much. The string pots, b/c of the spring appear to not get close to that let alone lower.

-scott

FAQ 1: What are lubricants and why are they important in linear potentiometers?

Lubricants are substances that are used to reduce friction between two surfaces. In linear potentiometers, they are important because they help to reduce wear and tear on the components and ensure smooth movement of the slider. Without lubrication, the potentiometer may become stiff and difficult to operate.

FAQ 2: What types of lubricants are suitable for use with linear potentiometers?

There are various types of lubricants that can be used with linear potentiometers, including silicone-based, lithium-based, and synthetic oils. It is important to choose a lubricant that is compatible with the materials used in the potentiometer and does not cause any damage.

FAQ 3: How often should lubricants be applied to linear potentiometers?

The frequency of lubrication depends on the usage and operating conditions of the potentiometer. In general, it is recommended to apply lubricant every 6-12 months to ensure smooth operation. However, if the potentiometer is used frequently or in harsh environments, more frequent lubrication may be necessary.

FAQ 4: Can I use any type of lubricant on my linear potentiometer?

No, it is important to use a lubricant that is specifically designed for use with linear potentiometers. Using the wrong type of lubricant can cause damage to the potentiometer and affect its performance. Always check the manufacturer's recommendations for suitable lubricants.

FAQ 5: Are there any other maintenance steps I should take to ensure the longevity of my linear potentiometer?

In addition to regular lubrication, it is also important to keep the potentiometer clean and free from dust and debris. If the potentiometer is exposed to harsh environments, it is recommended to use protective covers or enclosures to prevent damage. Regular inspection and calibration can also help to prolong the life of the potentiometer.