Half-Life of Chromium Picolinate

• Thread starter originalsadie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Half-life
In summary, it has been found that chromium picolinate can damage the kidneys, and due to this, it is advised to stop taking it as soon as possible. It has been estimated that the elimination rate for chromium picolinate is 3 years.
originalsadie
I am trying to find out what the half-life of chromium picolinate is. I have just found out it has helped damage my kidneys, since I have taken it in large doses for years :redface:. Since I just found out today, and I took my last of it today, just before that, I want to know how long before it will be completely out of my body. If anyone knows or can find out, I would appreciate it. I have looked on the internet for hours and not had any luck except for one place which I have a hard time believing. They said it was 345 days or something like that--nearly a year. That can't be right, can it?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
See here. http://books.google.com/books?id=JU8xq7IsBYcC&pg=PA45&lpg=PA45&dq=elimination+rate+chromium+picolinate&source=web&ots=YfVF0bkG-y&sig=8tbBNAcOfNuLe2cUJGXR-nAxVsc

When you ingest chromium, it is distributed throughout your body into it's various tissues. The half life will reflect just how easily it comes out of your various tissues. In pharmacokinetics, these tissues can be modeled as 'compartments'. It turns out that a 3-compartment model accurately reflects your body's ability to eliminate chromium. In that model the the chromium in the first compartment has a half life of 7 hours. That compartment contains roughly 40% of the absorbed dose of chromium. The chromium in the second compartment has an elimination half life of 15 days and roughly half of the absorbed dose of chromium resides there. The chromium in the third compartment has an elimination half life of 3 years and represents approximately 10% of the absorbed dose.

Only between 1% and 5% of the ingested dose is absorbed by the body (from a 400 mg dose) but you say you took it in large doses for years, so it it likely that your body's tissues have fairly high levels of the metal. From the reference given, nothing is mentioned about the capacity (maximum limit) of the various compartments (tissues) to absorb chromium but you may find that information in the various studies that article references.

Good luck with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank-you!

Thank-you, very much Chemisttree--I knew if anyone could find the answer it would be someone here. I don't know how you found it but you did good :approve:. I appreciate it.

I took 500mg of it for about 4 or 5 years--which is a long time when you consider I shouldn't have taken it at all. I can't stand the thought that it will still be there in one of my compartments for 3 years! :eek:

I just thank God I'm not taking it anymore. That's the good news.

Have a great day!

originalsadie said:
I took 500mg of it for about 4 or 5 years--which is a long time when you consider I shouldn't have taken it at all. I can't stand the thought that it will still be there in one of my compartments for 3 years! :eek:

It should clear the first and second 'compartments' within those three years but the level remaining in that third compartment will only be half reduced. Good that it only contains about 10% of the absorbed dose. Elimination from that third compartment to levels less than 10% remaining might take more than a decade.

Good Grief!

So, in about 10 years I should stop glowing in the dark. :bugeye:

It is very upsetting to think about, but it could be worse. I could still be taking it.

Countdown starts today for Feb 27, 2018.

Good Grief! :frown:

Related to Half-Life of Chromium Picolinate

1. What is the half-life of Chromium Picolinate?

The half-life of Chromium Picolinate is approximately 24 hours.

2. How does the half-life of Chromium Picolinate affect its efficacy?

The half-life of Chromium Picolinate is important because it determines how long the supplement stays in the body and remains active. A longer half-life may result in a more sustained release of the active ingredient, potentially leading to better efficacy.

3. Is the half-life of Chromium Picolinate affected by individual factors such as age or weight?

Yes, the half-life of Chromium Picolinate can vary depending on individual factors such as age, weight, and overall health. For example, older individuals or those with certain medical conditions may have a longer half-life.

4. What is the recommended dosage for Chromium Picolinate based on its half-life?

The recommended dosage for Chromium Picolinate is typically based on its half-life, with most supplements suggesting a daily dose of 200-400 mcg. However, it is always best to consult with a healthcare professional for personalized dosage recommendations.

5. Are there any potential side effects related to the half-life of Chromium Picolinate?

There are no known side effects specifically related to the half-life of Chromium Picolinate. However, as with any supplement, it is important to follow recommended dosages and consult with a healthcare professional if you experience any adverse reactions.