From CS Major in Europe to Math PhD in USA/Canada?

In summary, Rade decided to pursue a PhD in mathematics and has been doing well in his classes, but he has not done well in math competitions. He is considering doing a Master Study in Italy, but he is worried about the cost.
prce
This will be a long post but I will be thankful if you read it.

I,m a CS major, senior year from Bulgaria. Wanted to go to Mathematics but in my city (actually in the city i bought an apartment) there wasn't a Math Major. Since my freshman year i found that wasn't interested in Programing so I decided to study the topics that i don't like only for grades, and focus more on Math classes. I also enrolled in Cisco academy because i like networking and i realized that i must have some work options for my future.
Finally i took a decision to pursue a PhD in Mathematics. Here is my progress so far in this direction and some question I would like to ask you. Any comments welcomed.

Math classes i have took in the university:

Mathematical Analysis 1 & 2 (differential, integral & vector calculus)
Linear Algebra and Analytic Geometry
Abstract Algebra
Mathematical Logic (including Predicate calculus)
Differential Equations with applications
Discrete Mathematics (don't know if it is a CS or a Math class acording to American notation)
Mathematical Optimization
Differential Geometry
Numerical Analysis
Probability and Statistics
Graph Theory with Applications
Mathematical Optimization in Extreme Value Problems ( Nonlinear Optimization)

My GPA is almost 4.00.

I have take part in various Math Competitions with mediocre results.

I will write a Undergraduate Thesis in Numerical Analysis ( involving discrepancy and diaphony and with a computer algorithm to link CS, because the thesis should be in my Major field)

I have take the Math GRE in October and received 690 pt, 64% but without any preparation, and without knowledge in Complex Analysis and Topology. I should say that I'm happy with the result. Will retake it in April and expect and 80-90 result. Not sure how will be with the General GRE but have plenty of time to prepare.

So here is the question:
When to apply to PhD?
1. Study independently Complex Analysis and Topology and with a 80-90% GRE score apply to Phd.
2. Enroll in a Master Study at some local University(which take 1.5 to 2 years) take one year of important topics i have missed and (without finishing the Master) apply to PhD.
3. Enroll in a Master Study and receive a Master Degree, then apply to PhD.

Please give me so advises.
Thanks in advance.
Rade.

Physics news on Phys.org
:smile:

You should definitely apply...what do you have to lose besides the application fee?

If you are planning on applying for Fall 2009, then you should already be in the process of applying since deadlines for grad school with funding are almost here.

Plus your math GRE looks fine to me. Had a friend who got 71% and got into a good school...of course, there has to be more to your application than just 1 test.

I don't have any more time to apply for the 2009/2010 admission. yesterday I got the name of my undergraduate thesis:

" Quasi Monte-Carlo integration over weighted Hilbert spaces. Representation of the error in terms of the Walsh functional system. Mathematical models and computer realizations. "

Now am considering doing Master Study in Italy and will appreciate any thought about this.

1. How different is the education system for CS majors in Europe compared to the USA/Canada?

The education system for CS majors in Europe and the USA/Canada can vary significantly. In Europe, CS programs often have a more theoretical and mathematical focus, while in the USA/Canada, there is a stronger emphasis on practical applications and hands-on experience. Additionally, the length of CS programs may differ, with some European programs lasting 3 years and most programs in the USA/Canada lasting 4 years.

2. What are the main reasons for a CS major in Europe to pursue a Math PhD in the USA/Canada?

There are several reasons why a CS major in Europe may choose to pursue a Math PhD in the USA/Canada. One reason may be the opportunity for a more specialized and rigorous education in a specific area of math. Another reason may be the availability of top-ranked universities and research opportunities in the USA/Canada. Additionally, the potential for higher salaries and job opportunities in the USA/Canada may also be a motivating factor.

3. Is there a language barrier for European CS majors pursuing a Math PhD in the USA/Canada?

While English is the primary language for academic and scientific communication in both Europe and the USA/Canada, there may still be some language barriers for European CS majors pursuing a Math PhD in the USA/Canada. However, many universities offer language support and resources to help international students improve their English proficiency. Additionally, the academic community is often diverse and welcoming, making it easier for international students to adapt.

4. Are there any differences in the application process for European CS majors applying for a Math PhD in the USA/Canada?

The application process for a Math PhD in the USA/Canada may be slightly different for European CS majors compared to domestic applicants. International students may be required to take additional standardized tests, such as the TOEFL or GRE, and may need to provide additional documentation, such as proof of English proficiency and financial resources. It is important for European CS majors to carefully review the application requirements for each university they are interested in applying to.

5. What are the biggest challenges for European CS majors transitioning to a Math PhD program in the USA/Canada?

One of the biggest challenges for European CS majors transitioning to a Math PhD program in the USA/Canada may be adapting to a new academic and cultural environment. This may include adjusting to a different teaching style, new research methods, and a different pace of work. Additionally, there may be challenges related to language proficiency and cultural differences. However, with proper support and preparation, these challenges can be overcome, and the transition can be a rewarding and enriching experience.