Maximum/Minimum values of a graph on a restricted interval

In summary, to find the absolute maximum and minimum of a function on a closed interval, you must check for values of x on the interval where the derivative is equal to 0, fails to exist, or is an end point of the interval. This process remains the same regardless of the specific interval used.
Julie H

Homework Statement

f(x) = x^3 + 12x^2 - 27x + 11
Absolute Maximum
Absolute Minimum
on the interval [-10,0]
(there are 3 different interval sets, but if I can do this one, I think I can figure out the rest.)

Homework Equations

Derivative, set equal to 0, then solve for the problem, but what I'm confused about is how the solving process differs as the interval changes.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the derivative set as
3x^2 + 24x - 27

but what I'm unsure about is how finding the absolute maximum on the interval [-10,0] differs in process from finding the interval on, say, [-7, 2]

I think what I'm really trying to ask is how the restrictions on the intervals are reflected in the mathematical process to solve for an absolute maximum and minimum.

Physics news on Phys.org
The extremes of a continuous function on a closed interval must occur for values of x on the interval where one of the following is true:

1. f'(x) = 0
2. f'(x) fails to exist.
3. x is an end point of the closed interval.

You have to check all three cases, noting that values of x that aren't on the interval are irrelevant. Just list the possibilities and pick out the max and min.

edit: ah, someone just posted earlier delete some part of my post

1. What is the definition of a maximum value on a graph?

A maximum value on a graph is the highest point or peak of the graph. It is the largest value that the function can take on within a given interval.

2. How do you find the maximum value of a graph on a restricted interval?

To find the maximum value of a graph on a restricted interval, you can use the first or second derivative test. This involves finding the critical points of the function and evaluating the second derivative at those points. The largest value of the function at those points will be the maximum value on the restricted interval.

3. What is a restricted interval in terms of a graph?

A restricted interval on a graph is a specific range of values on the x-axis that is being considered. It is usually denoted by a closed bracket, such as [a,b], where a and b are the starting and ending points of the interval.

4. How do you determine if a critical point is a maximum or minimum on a restricted interval?

To determine if a critical point is a maximum or minimum on a restricted interval, you can use the second derivative test. If the second derivative is positive at the critical point, then it is a minimum. If the second derivative is negative at the critical point, then it is a maximum.

5. Can a graph have multiple maximum or minimum values on a restricted interval?

Yes, a graph can have multiple maximum or minimum values on a restricted interval. This can occur when the function has multiple critical points within the interval and the second derivative test is inconclusive. In this case, you would need to evaluate the function at each critical point to determine the maximum or minimum values.