Confidence intervals for ratios of variances and other confusing stats

In summary, the conversation discusses the steps needed to solve three questions related to statistics and probabilities, specifically involving the comparison of variances and means between two populations of steel rods. The first question requires the use of an F test to find a 95% confidence interval for the ratio of variances, while the second question involves a two-sample t-test to check the hypothesis that the mean of type A bars is higher than type B bars with 99% confidence. The third question asks for the probability of a population of type A bars being considered "acceptable" based on a given mean and standard deviation. Links to resources for the F test and t-test are provided.
AndreasC
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Well, it's statistics and probabilities, but I couldn't figure out a better sub to post it. It's not exactly homework, it's an old exam exercise. I don't have a lot of time to learn the subject so I'm trying to figure out how to solve exercises from older tests.

The exercise gives you two populations of steel rods, population A containing 4 rods and population B containing 5 rods. The quantity measured for each bar is the weight they can take until they bend, measured in tons. For A, the mean is 18.6 and the standard deviation is 1.8, for B the mean is 17.8 and the standard deviation 2.1.

The first question requires you to find a 95% confidence interval for the ratio of the variances of populations A and B.
The second question asks you to check the hypothesis that the mean for bars of type A is higher than that of type B for 99% confidence (I am less than 99% sure I am confident in my understanding of what this means).
The third question gives you that A follows a distribution with a mean of 17.5 and a standard deviation of 2. It also gives you that a population of bars is considered acceptable if the mean is above 17, and asks you what the probability of a population of bars of type A to be "acceptable" is.
Relevant Equations
I don't even know...
Now I don't really know much about the subject, I'm primarily just peaking into my textbook to see how to solve this or that exercise. I believe I can figure out how to solve the third question. However I couldn't find how to solve the first two. I know how to find a 95% confidence interval for, say, the mean or the variance or whatever of a population. But how do I determine the confidence interval for the ratio between the variances for two different populations with different sizes? I'm also a bit confused about what the second question wants you to do conceptually. Any help would be appreciated, and will probably help me pass my exams a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
AndreasC said:
Homework Statement:: Well, it's statistics and probabilities, but I couldn't figure out a better sub to post it. It's not exactly homework, it's an old exam exercise. I don't have a lot of time to learn the subject so I'm trying to figure out how to solve exercises from older tests.

The exercise gives you two populations of steel rods, population A containing 4 rods and population B containing 5 rods. The quantity measured for each bar is the weight they can take until they bend, measured in tons. For A, the mean is 18.6 and the standard deviation is 1.8, for B the mean is 17.8 and the standard deviation 2.1.

The first question requires you to find a 95% confidence interval for the ratio of the variances of populations A and B.
The second question asks you to check the hypothesis that the mean for bars of type A is higher than that of type B for 99% confidence (I am less than 99% sure I am confident in my understanding of what this means).
The third question gives you that A follows a distribution with a mean of 17.5 and a standard deviation of 2. It also gives you that a population of bars is considered acceptable if the mean is above 17, and asks you what the probability of a population of bars of type A to be "acceptable" is.
Relevant Equations:: I don't even know...

Now I don't really know much about the subject, I'm primarily just peaking into my textbook to see how to solve this or that exercise. I believe I can figure out how to solve the third question. However I couldn't find how to solve the first two. I know how to find a 95% confidence interval for, say, the mean or the variance or whatever of a population. But how do I determine the confidence interval for the ratio between the variances for two different populations with different sizes? I'm also a bit confused about what the second question wants you to do conceptually. Any help would be appreciated, and will probably help me pass my exams a lot.
Regarding the first question, what you need to look at is the F test, a test that is used to compare the variances of two samples. Here's a link to some information: https://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/eda/section3/eda359.htm

For the second question, what you need is a two-sample t-test. Here's a link from the same source as above: https://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/eda/section3/eda353.htm

Likes AndreasC
Mark44 said:
Regarding the first question, what you need to look at is the F test, a test that is used to compare the variances of two samples. Here's a link to some information: https://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/eda/section3/eda359.htm

For the second question, what you need is a two-sample t-test. Here's a link from the same source as above: https://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/eda/section3/eda353.htm
Hmmm, the interval looks larger than I anticipated... Is there some kind of calculator I can use or something to confirm my result?

To be clear, I believe the second question expects you to conclude that the two variances are equal, in which case you can use the simpler formula to calculate the degrees of freedom for the t distribution (4+5-2=7, which is roughly consistent with what the most complex formula would give you). However the interval I get is pretty big so it doesn't seem like I can draw that conclusion.

AndreasC said:
To be clear, I believe the second question expects you to conclude that the two variances are equal
Do you mean "expects you to assume that the two variances are equal"?
From post #1, you said this:
The second question asks you to check the hypothesis that the mean for bars of type A is higher than that of type B for 99% confidence [/quote]
You would conclude that the null hypothesis is true (means are equal) or false (means not equal); i.e., you reject the null hypothesis.
Depending on how you set up your alternate hypothesis can make the difference on your confidence interval.
means unequal -- Two tailed test, with .005 probability in each tail
mean A > mean B - One tailed test, with .01 probability in one end of the distribution.
mean A < mean B - One tailed test, with .01 probability at the other end of the distribution.
AndreasC said:
, in which case you can use the simpler formula to calculate the degrees of freedom for the t distribution (4+5-2=7, which is roughly consistent with what the most complex formula would give you). However the interval I get is pretty big so it doesn't seem like I can draw that conclusion.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
Do you mean "expects you to assume that the two variances are equal"?
From post #1, you said this:
The second question asks you to check the hypothesis that the mean for bars of type A is higher than that of type B for 99% confidence
You would conclude that the null hypothesis is true (means are equal) or false (means not equal); i.e., you reject the null hypothesis.
Depending on how you set up your alternate hypothesis can make the difference on your confidence interval.
means unequal -- Two tailed test, with .005 probability in each tail
mean A > mean B - One tailed test, with .01 probability in one end of the distribution.
mean A < mean B - One tailed test, with .01 probability at the other end of the distribution.
No, I mean I believe the answer to the first question should be that the variances are roughly equal. The reason I'm saying that is because if that is not the case, then I'm going to have to use the more complex formula to calculate the degrees of freedom for the t test, and then the result is something like 6.93 or so. I believe the result should be 7, which is indeed the result if you assume the variances are equal and use the simpler formula n+m-2.

1. What is a confidence interval for a ratio of variances?

A confidence interval for a ratio of variances is a range of values that is likely to contain the true ratio of variances with a certain level of confidence. It is used to estimate the uncertainty in the ratio of variances, which is a measure of the difference between two groups or populations.

2. How is a confidence interval for a ratio of variances calculated?

The calculation of a confidence interval for a ratio of variances involves using statistical formulas and data from the two groups or populations being compared. It takes into account the sample sizes, means, and standard deviations of the two groups, as well as the desired level of confidence.

3. Why is it important to use a confidence interval for a ratio of variances?

Using a confidence interval for a ratio of variances allows for a more accurate and reliable comparison between two groups or populations. It takes into account the variability within each group, rather than just looking at the means or differences between means. This can provide a more complete understanding of the differences between the groups.

4. What other confusing statistical concepts are related to confidence intervals for ratios of variances?

Other related concepts include confidence intervals for means, hypothesis testing, and effect size. These concepts are often used in conjunction with confidence intervals for ratios of variances to further analyze and interpret the differences between two groups or populations.

5. How can I interpret a confidence interval for a ratio of variances?

A confidence interval for a ratio of variances can be interpreted as a range of values within which the true ratio of variances is likely to fall. The wider the interval, the more uncertain the estimate is. If the interval includes the value of 1, it indicates that there is no significant difference between the two groups or populations. If the interval does not include 1, it suggests that there is a significant difference between the two groups or populations.