Solve tan^2a=tanbtanc: Prove and Simplify

• Thread starter shravan
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about proving the equality sin(a+b)/sin(a+c)=[ sin(2b)/sin(2c)]^(1/2) and then using it to prove tan^2a=tanbtanc. The person has reached a point in their proof where they have squared everything and solved for tan^2a, and they suggest using trig identities to manipulate the equation. The conversation ends with the suggestion to continue working on the proof.
shravan
sin(a+b)/sin(a+c)=[ sin(2b)/sin(2c)]^(1/2)
then prove tan^2a=tanbtanc
I have reached till {tan(a)cos(b)+ sin(b)} * {sin(c)cos(c)}^(1/2)=
{tan(a)cos(c)+sin(c)}* { sin(b) cos(b)}^(1/2)

Physics news on Phys.org
shravan said:
sin(a+b)/sin(a+c)=[ sin(2b)/sin(2c)]^(1/2)
then prove tan^2a=tanbtanc
I have reached till {tan(a)cos(b)+ sin(b)} * {sin(c)cos(c)}^(1/2)=
{tan(a)cos(c)+sin(c)}* { sin(b) cos(b)}^(1/2)

Can you assume that a+b+c = 180 degrees ?

I think there is something missing in your question. How elese can you prove the first equality ?

Or is it given ? In that case, you can find a connection between the angles by manipulating this first equality.

marlon

you have all the info you need. i squared everything, and then solved for tan^2a. its messy, but it does work out. when you square it all, the tana terms cancel. and then you just have to factor and divide ect.

no there is no relation between the angles.the relation given is not going to help much. I think I will be getting a method for that sum.however thank u

it works out. i said that already. just keep trucking. like i said, square everything and start gathering terms. its just a lot of math, but it does work.

try using some of these identities

Tan=cos/sin

Sin(a+b)=
SinaCosb+CosaSinb

Cos(a+b)
CosaCosb-SinaSinb

ya that's my knowledge of trig

the OP already used those identities. the only other identy needed is knowing tanx= sinx/cosx. otherwise its all just rearranging the equation.

FAQ: Solve tan^2a=tanbtanc: Prove and Simplify

1. What is the meaning of "tan^2a" and "tanbtanc" in this equation?

"tan^2a" refers to the tangent squared of angle a, while "tanbtanc" refers to the product of tangent b and tangent c.

2. How do you prove this equation?

To prove this equation, we can use the trigonometric identity tan(a+b) = (tan a + tan b) / (1 - tan a * tan b). We can substitute tan a with tan b in this identity to get tan(2b) = (2tan b) / (1 - tan^2b). We can then substitute this into the original equation to get tan^2a = (4tan^2b) / (1 - tan^2b). By simplifying, we get the equation tan^2a = tanbtanc.

3. Can this equation be simplified further?

Yes, we can use the trigonometric identity tan^2x = 1 - sec^2x to simplify the equation further. By substituting this identity into the equation, we get 1 - sec^2a = tanbtanc. We can then use the Pythagorean identity sec^2x = 1 + tan^2x to get 1 - (1 + tan^2a) = tanbtanc. Simplifying this further, we get tanbtanc = -tan^2a.

4. Are there any restrictions on the values of a, b, and c in this equation?

Yes, there are restrictions on the values of a, b, and c in this equation. Since tan a, tan b, and tan c are all involved, the values of a, b, and c cannot be equal to odd multiples of pi/2, as this would result in an undefined value for tangent.

5. How is this equation used in real-world applications?

This equation is commonly used in physics and engineering, especially in problems involving triangles and angles. It can also be used in navigation and surveying, as well as in astronomy to calculate the positions of celestial objects.

Back