Difference Formula Involving Inverse Trgi Functions

In summary, sin(cos-1(-4/5)) and cos(sin-1(x)) are both non-negative, but their inverse functions are not.
x1nsanity

Homework Statement

Find the exact value of : sin[sin^-1 (3/5) - cos^-1 (-4/5)]

Homework Equations

sin(A-B) = sinA*cosB-cosA*sinB

The Attempt at a Solution

sin A = (3/5) sin B = (-3/5)
cos A = (4/5) cos B = (-4/5)

(3/5)*(-4/5) - (-3/5)(4/5)
(-12/25) - (-12/25) = 0

I did that and the book says that the answer is (-24/25). What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I get something slightly different for sin B.

How did you get sin B? from what I understand, -pi/2<B<0. I'm so confused though

x1nsanity said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

(-12/25) - (-12/25) = 0

Well... the inverse sin and inverse cosine are multivalued functions. In other words, there are many different angles that have, say, a cosine of -4/5. So when you are asked to find the inverse cosine of -4/5 (which is B in your case), which one should you choose? It makes a difference because not all the angles have the same sine. Depending on which angle you choose for B, you might get [itex]\sin B = -\frac{3}{5}[/itex] or you might get something different - that's what Bohrok was alluding to.

The way mathematicians resolve this is the following convention: unless there is some special reason to do otherwise, [itex]\cos^{-1} X[/itex] means that you pick the angle between 0 and 180 degrees whose cosine is [itex]X[/itex]. This is called the "principal value" (as opposed to all the other, "non-principal" angles which have cosine X but which are not between 0 and 180 degrees). So in this case, to get the angle B, think about the angle between 0 and 180 degrees that has a cosine of -4/5. It might help to actually draw out a unit circle and look at it to figure out what quadrant the angle is in. Now, what is the sine of that angle?

By the way, for the inverse sine, the principal value is the one between -90 and +90 degrees. So to find the inverse sine of 3/5 (i.e. to find the angle A), you'd pick the angle between -90 and +90 degrees that has a sine of 3/5.

Last edited:
x1nsanity said:

Find the exact value of : sin[sin^-1 (3/5) - cos^-1 (-4/5)

Were I marking this question, I would want to see more than one answer. Don't forget that in one sweep around the origin, there will always be more than one angle whose sine is, for example, 3/5.

Similarly, between 0 and 2.Pi there will be more than one answer to cos-1(-4/5).

That's one answer. 0 is also correct. Any more?

It is always a good idea to work things out on your calculator, for comparison. Or for reassurance :smile:

Always bear in mind that your calculator will display only one answer, even when there are multiple solutions.

Last edited:
Draw a right triangle and let sinθ = x where θ is one of the acute angles and label all the sides. How could you express cosθ? Or,
sin2θ + cos2θ = 1 → sinθ = ±√(1 - cos2θ)
Let x = cosθ → θ = cos-1x, then substitute that into the above equation. Then you'll have to choose + or - for the square root based on the fact that arcsin is taken to be between -90° and 90° as diazona said.

x1nsanity said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

(-12/25) - (-12/25) = 0

What is sin(cos-1(-4/5) ?
If -1 < x < 0 π/2 < cos-1(x) < π, i.e. cos-1(x) terminates in the second quadrant on the unit circle. Therefore, sin(cos-1(x)) is non-negative.​

Similarly cos(sin-1(x)) is also non-negative.

BTW: arcsin & arccos are well defined functions. As such, arcsin(x) has only one value for any x in the domain of arcsin. Similarly, arccos(x) has only one value for any x in its domain.

SammyS said:
BTW: arcsin & arccos are well defined functions. As such, arcsin(x) has only one value for any x in the domain of arcsin. Similarly, arccos(x) has only one value for any x in its domain.
I guess I meant "inverse sine" and "inverse cosine" then. In my circles people tend to use the terms synonymously ;-) I'll go back and edit.

1. What is the difference formula for inverse trigonometric functions?

The difference formula for inverse trigonometric functions is given by:

arcsin(a-b) = arcsin(a) - arcsin(b)
arccos(a-b) = arccos(a) - arccos(b)
arctan(a-b) = arctan(a) - arctan(b)
This formula allows us to find the difference between two inverse trigonometric values by subtracting their individual values.

2. How is the difference formula used in solving trigonometric equations?

The difference formula is used in solving trigonometric equations by converting equations involving sums or differences of inverse trigonometric functions into simpler equations that can be solved using basic algebraic techniques. This makes it easier to find the values of the inverse trigonometric functions in the equation.

3. Can the difference formula be used with other trigonometric functions?

Yes, the difference formula can also be used with other trigonometric functions such as secant, cosecant, and cotangent. The formulas for these functions are as follows:

arcsec(a-b) = arcsec(a) - arcsec(b)
arccsc(a-b) = arccsc(a) - arccsc(b)
arccot(a-b) = arccot(a) - arccot(b)

4. How does the difference formula for inverse trigonometric functions relate to the Pythagorean identity?

The difference formula for inverse trigonometric functions is derived from the Pythagorean identity, which states that sin²x + cos²x = 1. By rearranging this identity, we can get expressions for sin²x and cos²x in terms of arctan and arccot. Substituting these expressions into the difference formula, we get the final formula.

5. Are there any special cases where the difference formula cannot be applied?

Yes, there are some special cases where the difference formula cannot be applied. This includes when the values of the inverse trigonometric functions are undefined, such as when the argument is outside the domain of the function. It is also not applicable when the difference between the two values is greater than or equal to 1.