Conservation of Angular Momentum Using the Hamiltonian

From the definition of the Poisson bracket, we have:\{\textbf{L},H\}=\sum_i\left(\frac{\partial \textbf{L}}{\partial q_i}\frac{\partial H}{\partial p_i}-\frac{\partial H}{\partial q_i}\frac{\partial \textbf{L}}{\partial p_i}\right)Now, using the expressions for \textbf{L} and H given in the problem statement, we can evaluate these derivatives and see what happens.
physics2018

Homework Statement

The Hamiltonian for a particle mass m, moving in a central force field is given as: H = 1/(2m) * |p^2| - V(r). Take the Hamiltonian to be invariant, such that it can be shown that L = r x p the angular momentum vector is a conserved quantity: dL/dt = {L,H} = 0.

Homework Equations

q_i-dot = dH/dp_i and p_i-dot = - dH/dq_i

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not understand how to go about solving the following problem ( I think I understand what the Hamiltonian is, but I do not understand how to from it to what needs to be proven) To solve the problem I believe I need to get from Hamiltonian's equations to Lagrange's p_i = dL/dx_i-dot and then from there use p-dot * dr + p * dr-dot = 0 where dr is defined as the distance between two vectors r and r+dr.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi physics2018, welcome to PF!:smile:

physics2018 said:

Homework Statement

The Hamiltonian for a particle mass m, moving in a central force field is given as: H = 1/(2m) * |p^2| - V(r). Take the Hamiltonian to be invariant, such that it can be shown that L = r x p the angular momentum vector is a conserved quantity: dL/dt = {L,H} = 0.

Homework Equations

q_i-dot = dH/dp_i and p_i-dot = - dH/dq_i

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not understand how to go about solving the following problem ( I think I understand what the Hamiltonian is, but I do not understand how to from it to what needs to be proven) To solve the problem I believe I need to get from Hamiltonian's equations to Lagrange's p_i = dL/dx_i-dot and then from there use p-dot * dr + p * dr-dot = 0 where dr is defined as the distance between two vectors r and r+dr.

Well, since you are asked to show that [itex]\frac{d\textbf{L}}{dt}=\{\textbf{L},H\}=0[/itex], why not start by computing [itex]\{\textbf{L},H\}[/itex]?

Last edited:

1. What is conservation of angular momentum?

Conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental law in physics that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external torques. This means that the spinning motion of an object will continue at a constant rate unless acted upon by an external force.

2. What is the Hamiltonian in relation to conservation of angular momentum?

The Hamiltonian is a mathematical function that describes the total energy of a system. In the context of conservation of angular momentum, it is used to derive the equations of motion for a system and show how angular momentum is conserved over time.

3. How is conservation of angular momentum using the Hamiltonian applied in real-world situations?

Conservation of angular momentum using the Hamiltonian is applied in various fields, such as mechanics, astrophysics, and quantum physics. It is used to describe the motion of planets and satellites, the behavior of spinning objects, and the energy levels of atoms and molecules.

4. What are some practical applications of conservation of angular momentum using the Hamiltonian?

Some practical applications of conservation of angular momentum using the Hamiltonian include spacecraft navigation and control, gyroscopic stabilization in aircraft and ships, and the design of roller coasters and other amusement park rides. It is also used in the development of technologies such as magnetic levitation and spintronics.

5. Can conservation of angular momentum be violated?

No, conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental law of physics and has been observed to hold true in all physical systems. However, in certain extreme situations, such as black holes or the early universe, the concept of angular momentum may need to be redefined or modified to accurately describe the behavior of the system.