Favourite Physics/Maths Related Pictures

• Thread starter _Mayday_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pictures
In summary: This is easy. My most favorite physics picture is my avatar, because it gave me my most cited paper to date.
_Mayday_
Combined X-Ray and Optical Images of the Crab Nebula

large_web.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
That's very cool.

This is easy. My most favorite physics picture is my avatar, because it gave me my most cited paper to date.

:)

Zz.

It's an interesting avatar, Zz. But what is it - did you 'splain it somewhere on PF?

jim mcnamara said:
It's an interesting avatar, Zz. But what is it - did you 'splain it somewhere on PF?

Yeh, I'd love to know. Is it in anyway related to a shift in frequency?

NOTE: Vague comment may just be somehow related to picture.

Post Pictures! =]

es_nc_kttyhwk_1_e.jpg

<Vague comment>

Have you seen this picture thread?

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=106621

Last edited by a moderator:
jim mcnamara said:

It is an actual dispersion curve of an overdoped high-Tc superconductor obtained directly from an angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy. In the paper, there are 2 other similar curves for the underdoped and optimally-doped compound. The 3 of them together gave a very compelling evolution of the dispersion as one varies the doping value in this material. I have an "attachment" to the overdoped data because (i) I was the one who pushed for a study on this doping range that has been overlooked by people in the field because they thought it was a "conventional" superconductor (it isn't), (ii) I actually made the measurement and (iii) it was my initiative that found us the overdoped material.

I think, to this date, for this Bi2212 material, it is still the most highly overdoped sample ever studied (Tc~51 K). So even almost 8 years after it was published, we still hold that "record" :)

Zz.

gotta agree with pooploops. I love that picture.

http://www.worldofenergy.com.au/graphics/photos/factsheet2/MagnetField.jpg​
[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What makes a picture a "favourite" in the field of physics or maths?

A favourite physics or maths related picture is one that effectively conveys a complex concept or idea in a visually appealing and understandable way. It may also demonstrate beauty or symmetry in the natural world or in mathematical equations.

2. Can a picture really help with understanding complex physics or maths concepts?

Absolutely! Pictures, diagrams, and visual representations can often provide a clearer and more intuitive understanding of complex concepts. This is especially true in fields like physics and maths, where abstract ideas can be difficult to grasp without a visual aid.

3. Are there certain principles or guidelines for creating effective physics or maths related pictures?

Yes, there are some key principles that can make a physics or maths related picture more effective. These include using clear and concise labels and annotations, using accurate and proportional representations, and incorporating visual elements that enhance the understanding of the concept being depicted.

4. Are there any notable examples of famous physics or maths related pictures?

Yes, there are many iconic pictures in the fields of physics and maths. Some examples include the double-slit experiment diagram, the Mandelbrot fractal, and the Hertzsprung-Russell Diagram. These pictures have become well-known and widely referenced for their ability to convey complex concepts in a simple and elegant way.

5. What are some ways to incorporate favourite physics or maths related pictures into teaching or learning?

There are many ways to incorporate favourite physics or maths related pictures into teaching or learning. These include using them as visual aids during lectures or presentations, using them as discussion prompts to stimulate critical thinking, and incorporating them into worksheets or study materials. Additionally, creating your own pictures can be a helpful way to reinforce your understanding of a concept.