Angular Momentum Operator in terms of ladder operators

In summary, the conversation involves someone seeking help with a problem involving the definition of L_{\pm} and the use of exponential factors. The conversation ends with the person successfully solving the problem with some difficulty.
Physics news on Phys.org
You missed the

[tex]e^{\pm i \phi}[/tex]

in the definition of [itex]L_{\pm}[/itex]

Ben Niehoff said:
You missed the

[tex]e^{\pm i \phi}[/tex]

in the definition of [itex]L_{\pm}[/itex]

dont they multiply to give 1?

[tex]e^{ i \phi}e^{- i \phi} = 1[/tex]

Edit:

you were right, i got it in the end taking into account the exponential factors...was a ***** of an algebra grindfest though

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of the Angular Momentum Operator in terms of ladder operators?

The Angular Momentum Operator, denoted as L, is a mathematical operator that describes the angular momentum of a quantum system. In terms of ladder operators, it can be expressed as L = a+a-, where a+ and a- are the ladder operators.

2. How do the ladder operators act on the eigenstates of the Angular Momentum Operator?

The ladder operators act on the eigenstates of the Angular Momentum Operator by changing the angular momentum by one unit, either increasing or decreasing it. Specifically, a+ increases the angular momentum by one unit, while a- decreases it by one unit.

3. What is the physical significance of the eigenvalues of the Angular Momentum Operator?

The eigenvalues of the Angular Momentum Operator represent the possible values of the angular momentum of a quantum system. This can have physical significance, as different eigenvalues correspond to different energy levels and can provide information about the rotational dynamics of the system.

4. How can the ladder operators be used to find the eigenvalues and eigenstates of the Angular Momentum Operator?

The ladder operators can be used to find the eigenvalues and eigenstates of the Angular Momentum Operator by repeatedly applying them to the ground state of the system. The eigenvalues are given by the number of times the ladder operators are applied, while the eigenstates are the resulting states after each application.

5. Can the Angular Momentum Operator be used to describe systems with other types of symmetry?

Yes, the Angular Momentum Operator can also be used to describe systems with other types of symmetry, such as spherical symmetry or cylindrical symmetry. In these cases, the ladder operators may have different forms, but the overall concept of changing the angular momentum by one unit remains the same.