Symmetric Matrix and Definiteness

In summary, when A is a symmetric matrix, A^2 will always be positive definite, unless A is zero. This can be shown by using the fact that A^2=SD^2S^-1, where the diagonal matrix squared will only give positive or zero eigenvalues. If A is invertible, then A^2 will be positive definite. The orthogonal matrix and its inverse do not need to be considered.
MikeDietrich

Homework Statement

If A is a symmetric matrix, what can you say about the definiteness of A^2? Explain.

Homework Equations

I believe I need to use the face that A^2=SD^2S^-1.

I know that if all the eigenvalues of a symmetric matrix are positive then the matrix is positive definiteness and if the eigenvalues are positive and zero then the matrix is semidefinite.

Not sure where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
So, we need to show that A2 is positive definite? What does this mean?

I don't know if A^2 will be positive definite. Oh, wait... if A^2= SD^2S^-1 then the diagonal matrix squared will only give positive or zero eigenvalues so A^2 will be positive semidefinite unless A is invertible then it would be positive definite. Do I have to worry about the orthogonal matrix and its inverse?

Yes, A2 will always be positive definite, unless A is zero...

1. What is a symmetric matrix?

A symmetric matrix is a square matrix in which the elements above and below the diagonal are equal. In other words, if the matrix is denoted as A, then A[i,j] = A[j,i] for all values of i and j.

2. How is a symmetric matrix different from a regular matrix?

A symmetric matrix is different from a regular matrix in that it has the special property of being equal to its own transpose. This means that if we were to flip the matrix over the main diagonal, the resulting matrix would be identical to the original.

3. What is the significance of a symmetric matrix in mathematics?

Symmetric matrices are important in many areas of mathematics, particularly in linear algebra and matrix theory. They have useful properties that make them easier to work with and can be used to simplify complex mathematical problems.

4. What is the definition of definiteness in a matrix?

In a symmetric matrix, definiteness refers to the nature of the eigenvalues of the matrix. A matrix with all positive eigenvalues is called positive definite, a matrix with all negative eigenvalues is called negative definite, and a matrix with both positive and negative eigenvalues is called indefinite.

5. How is the definiteness of a symmetric matrix determined?

The definiteness of a symmetric matrix can be determined by looking at the signs of the eigenvalues. If all eigenvalues are positive, the matrix is positive definite. If all eigenvalues are negative, the matrix is negative definite. If there are both positive and negative eigenvalues, the matrix is indefinite.