SI Units question in physics conceptual question

In summary, the homework statement states that if speed, v, of an object depends on time, t, according to the equation v = A + Bt + Ct^4, what are the SI units of A, B, C? m/s, m, s, and m/s^2.
xCrusade

Homework Statement

If speed, v, of an object depends on time, t, according to the equation v = A + Bt + Ct^4, what are the SI units of A, B, C?

Homework Equations

v = A + Bt + Ct^4

The Attempt at a Solution

For this, I've not known where to start, so I've be plugging in the variables to try to lighten the question:

m/s = A + B(s) + C(s)^4

m/s = s + m/s(s) + m/s^2(s)^4

m/s^5 = s + m/s(2) + m/s^2

m/s^4 = s + m/s + m/s^2

m/s^4 = s + m/s + m

m/s^2 = s + m/s

m/s = s + m

m/s^2 = m

Obviously this is incorrect, can someone help me understand this question? I've gotten past the concepts of this question and just started mindlessly trial and error to plug in values because it's so frustrating but I cannot complete this question. Can anyone point me in the right direct? Any help is appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can't do math exactly like that with units of measure

So try this assume B and C are zero what are the units of measure of A. One down.
Now repeat setting A and C to zero, what are uom for B?...

xCrusade said:

Homework Equations

v = A + Bt + Ct^4

Think of the right side like this, each combined term must have the same SI units as the 'v' on the left. This is so since you can't add meters to seconds and so on. (like apples and oranges)

so A, Bt and Ct4 should have the same units as 'v'.

What the units of 'v' and hence what are the units of 'A'?

If I substitute B and C with zero, does this cancel out t and t^4 making A = m/s?

xCrusade said:
If I substitute B and C with zero, does this cancel out t and t^4 making A = m/s?

I'd suggest using Rock.Freak's suggestion. That's the best way to start, IMO.

I still don't understand, A, B, and, C have to be a combination of m/s, m, s, or m/s^2? I am having trouble grasping this concept.

xCrusade said:
I still don't understand, A, B, and, C have to be a combination of m/s, m, s, or m/s^2? I am having trouble grasping this concept.

No. The quantity on the lefthand side (LHS) of the equation has units of velocity, or [m/s]. So that means [STRIKE]all [/STRIKE] that each of the 3 terms on the RHS have to also have units of [m/s]. If they had different units and you tried to just add them up and set them equal to the LHS, that would be an error.

You have a term on the RHS that is Bt. the time t has units of , so what units must B have to give you the overall units of [m/s]? Remember that you can cancel the same units when they appear on both the top and bottom of a division.

So for example, if I divide a distance by a time, I get the units of velocity:

D[m] / t = V[m/s]

Or if I multply velocity by time, I get distance:

V[m/s] * t = D[m]

See how the seconds units in the numerator and denominator cancel out?

Does that help? What do you need for units for the RHS constants to make each term have units of velocity [m/s] ?

Based on your description, would this make A = m/s, B = m/s^2, C = m/s^5 since B will cancel out the s from time and C will cancel out the s^4 from time?

xCrusade said:
Based on your description, would this make A = m/s, B = m/s^2, C = m/s^5 since B will cancel out the s from time and C will cancel out the s^4 from time?

Perfect!

Carrying units along in equations like that can really help you find typos and mistakes as you work. Especially in large algebraic manipulations, checking units along the way can help you find a mistake early and fix it before you waste time on pages of calcs.

Thanks you were really helpful!

1. What are SI units?

SI units are the internationally recognized standard units of measurement for physical quantities. These units were established by the International System of Units (SI) in 1960 and are used in all fields of science and engineering.

2. Why are SI units important in physics?

SI units provide a common language for scientists to communicate and compare their measurements. They also allow for consistency and accuracy in scientific experiments and calculations.

3. What are the base units of the SI system?

The SI system has seven base units: meter (m) for length, kilogram (kg) for mass, second (s) for time, ampere (A) for electric current, kelvin (K) for temperature, mole (mol) for amount of substance, and candela (cd) for luminous intensity.

4. Can SI units be converted to other units of measurement?

Yes, SI units can be converted to other units using conversion factors. For example, to convert meters to centimeters, you would multiply the number of meters by 100.

5. Are there any exceptions to using SI units in physics?

In some cases, other units may be used in addition to SI units, such as non-SI units for temperature (such as Fahrenheit or Celsius) or units specific to certain branches of physics (such as electron volts in particle physics).