Biomed, Mining, and Petro Engineering Differences

• Thread starter Neek 007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the conversation is about someone considering their future career options in engineering and wanting to know the major differences between mechanical, electrical, petro., and mining engineering. The expert suggests that mechanical engineering is a broader field that can be applied in both petro. and mining engineering, but electrical engineering may not be as necessary in certain countries. They also recommend mining engineering as a more stable and necessary field compared to petro. engineering. The expert also suggests considering mining engineering as a major and petro. or mech. engineering as a minor. They list some universities to consider for mining engineering and remind the person that the original post was from 4 years ago.
Neek 007
Hey, I've been thinking about my future lately, as a senior in high school. I definitely want to become an engineer, but not sure what type. My scope of field I want to join varies as you can see. I like Earth sciences quite a bit, so I thought of mining and petro engineering, but from what I have read "family" and those fields don't mix too well.
I guess I just want to know some major differences, you know, why I'd aim for those specific degrees rather than an electrical or mechanical degree.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's start by understanding that mechanical engineering is much broader than petro. or mining engineering. You can apply mech. engineering in both of these. As for electrical engineering, it is such a common job that in some countries it is simply not required. Personally I believe that an electrical engineer doesn't earn much.

Between petro. engineering and mining engineering, you should select mining engineering because either oil and gas are soon going to end or scientists will find an alternative source of energy and the petroleum industry will slump down. The advantage of mining engineering is that it is always required and the mining industry is quite stable.

I think that when you go to university you can do mining engineering as a major and mech. or petro. engineering as a minor.

If you choose to do mining engineering I would recommend you to consider going to these universities:

US - Colorado School of Mines and Stanford University
Canada - McGill University, University of British Columbia and University of Alberta
UK - Cambridge University and University of Oxford

Miner, that post was from 4 years ago, when he was about to enter college, he's graduated by now. Please pay attention to dates. :smile:

1. What is the difference between biomed, mining, and petro engineering?

Biomedical engineering focuses on the application of engineering principles to the fields of medicine and biology. Mining engineering involves the extraction and processing of minerals from the earth. Petro engineering is concerned with the exploration, extraction, and production of oil and gas resources.

2. Are there any similarities between these fields?

While each field has its own specific focus, there are some similarities between biomed, mining, and petro engineering. They all require a strong foundation in math and science, and they all involve problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

3. Which field has the most job opportunities?

It is difficult to determine which field has the most job opportunities, as it often depends on the current demand for each industry. However, all three fields are expected to see growth in job opportunities in the coming years due to advancements in technology and increasing demand for resources and healthcare.

4. Can you specialize in more than one of these fields?

Yes, it is possible to specialize in more than one of these fields. For example, a person with a background in biomedical engineering could specialize in mining by focusing on the development of medical devices used in mining operations. Similarly, a person with a background in petro engineering could specialize in biomed by developing new technologies for the oil and gas industry.

5. Is a degree in one of these fields interchangeable with the others?

No, a degree in one of these fields is not interchangeable with the others. While there may be some overlap in coursework and skills, each field requires specific knowledge and expertise. It is important to choose a degree program that aligns with your interests and career goals.