Solve SAT Physics Test: Problem-Solving Help

In summary, the person is taking the SAT physics test soon and is woefully unprepared. They say that their problem is that whenever they see a problem, they panic. They are ok when learning the material, but when they cannot look at the formulas or concepts for reference, they usually just guess. The person also says that this has always been the case with math, but that it has never been the case with physics. They want to major in physics in college, but are worried about their ability to do so. They say that the key to success is to stick to fundamentals, to make sure that you always use free body diagrams, and to remember the equation for the radial acceleration of a body in circular motion. They say that it takes
tmntbunny
Ok so I'm taking the SAT physics Test soon and I'm woefully unprepared!
I've taken physics 2 times already, honors and AP, as well as reteaching it to myself, but i just don't get it. I think my problem is,whenever i see a problem, I panic. I'm ok when learning the material, if i get a few problems wrong i just move on but when i can't look at the formulas or the concepts for reference, i usually just guess. And when i finish studying the whole course I can NEVER remember any formulas of concepts i once had down pat.
It's so weird I've always gotten math, but never physics and I want to major in it in college. Can anyone help??

Physics news on Phys.org
tmntbunny said:
Ok so I'm taking the SAT physics Test soon and I'm woefully unprepared!
I've taken physics 2 times already, honors and AP, as well as reteaching it to myself, but i just don't get it. I think my problem is,whenever i see a problem, I panic. I'm ok when learning the material, if i get a few problems wrong i just move on but when i can't look at the formulas or the concepts for reference, i usually just guess. And when i finish studying the whole course I can NEVER remember any formulas of concepts i once had down pat.
It's so weird I've always gotten math, but never physics and I want to major in it in college. Can anyone help??

Stick to fundamentals. Make sure you always use free body diagrams, and make sure that you remember that the net force on a body is equal to its mass times its acceleration. That alone will probably cover a large fraction of the problems you encounter.

I'm sure you're pretty OK on kinematics, but you need to remember the equation for the radial acceleration of a body in circular motion: V2/R = ω2R.

First, do not panic. You need to get a good night's sleep and have a proper breakfast.

Remember, it takes time to think. Look at the material, then look away and say to yourself, "Think of nothing". Then look back at the work.

Do one step at a time. First, find what is the problem. Then read given statement, and define variables. Recall what theory is needed. This theory will give you equation(s) for the variables. Write the equations, check units (meters, sec, etc.), simplify, and solve.

Your job is to get started. Your panic is because you want to see the end, which you cannot. You only know how to get started. See Teaching and Helping Students Think and Do Better as an example of books you can read to help you.

1. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for the SAT Physics Test?

In order to improve your problem-solving skills for the SAT Physics Test, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with the different types of problems that will be on the test. You can also benefit from studying key concepts and formulas, as well as strategies for approaching different types of questions.

2. What topics should I focus on for the SAT Physics Test?

The SAT Physics Test covers a wide range of topics, including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, waves and optics, and thermodynamics. It is important to have a strong understanding of all these topics, but you may want to focus more on the areas where you feel less confident.

3. How can I manage my time effectively during the SAT Physics Test?

Time management is crucial for success on the SAT Physics Test. It is important to practice solving problems within the allotted time limit and to learn when to move on to the next question if you are unsure of the answer. You can also benefit from creating a time management strategy before the test and sticking to it.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid on the SAT Physics Test?

Some common mistakes to avoid on the SAT Physics Test include not reading the question carefully, using incorrect formulas or units, and not showing your work. It is important to take your time and thoroughly understand each question before attempting to solve it, and to always double check your work for accuracy.

5. Are there any resources I can use to help me prepare for the SAT Physics Test?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you prepare for the SAT Physics Test. These include review books, practice tests, online resources, and tutoring services. It is important to choose resources that align with your learning style and to use them regularly in your study routine.