Calculate angular velocity and angular acceleration of a rotating mass

In summary, angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating or moving around a fixed point, calculated by dividing the change in angle by the change in time. Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity over time, calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. Angular velocity and linear velocity are related by the radius of the rotating object, with linear velocity being equal to angular velocity multiplied by the radius.
shandarama
I need to calculate the angular velocity of a 2kg mass rotating in a horizontal circle of 2m radius where 1 revolution takes 4 seconds

ω=v/r

My attempt was this : 4/360=.0111111×57.3=.636rs.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi hshandarama! welcome to pf! :smile:
shandarama said:
I need to calculate the angular velocity of a 2kg mass rotating in a horizontal circle of 2m radius where 1 revolution takes 4 seconds

ω=v/r

but you don't know the speed, v (it certainly isn't 4) :redface:

hint: angular velocity is radians per second :wink:

Yeah I'm on it. 1.57 radians per second. Thanks

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating or moving around a fixed point. It is represented by the Greek letter omega (ω) and is measured in radians per second (rad/s).

2. How do you calculate angular velocity?

Angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angle (in radians) by the change in time. The formula for angular velocity is ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is the angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angle, and Δt is the change in time.

3. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity over time. It is represented by the Greek letter alpha (α) and is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s²).

4. How do you calculate angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. The formula for angular acceleration is α = Δω/Δt, where α is the angular acceleration, Δω is the change in angular velocity, and Δt is the change in time.

5. What is the relationship between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Angular velocity and linear velocity are related by the radius of the rotating object. The linear velocity (v) is equal to the angular velocity (ω) multiplied by the radius (r). This relationship is expressed as v = ωr. This means that the farther away an object is from the center of rotation, the greater its linear velocity will be for a given angular velocity.