Some advice from some smart people

• Thread starter DrNothing
  • Start date
In summary: Thanks for considering physics as a possible career!Welcome to the PF.Are there any community colleges near where you live? You could start with a 2-year degree program to see how it all works out...How is your math??If you opt for self-studying (which tend to be quite difficult), then you might like the following books:1) For high school math before calculus, try "basic mathematics" by Serge Lang. It's a very good book that covers everything you need to know before starting calculus.2) For calculus, you should start with an easier book like "A first course in calculus" by (again) Serge Lang. This should cover calc I and calc
DrNothing
Hi, I'm 20 years old have always been interested in this stuff, mostly astrophysics/cosmology. I know just the basics of physics and never took any classes or anything. Right after high school I did a little 'soul searching' and the only thing I found out was that I wasted 2 years of my life...but I've rekindled my love for physics and want to take some serious classes. What I WANT to do is do this kind of stuff professionally. I just need someone to help me get back on track.

Some advice anyone?
What to take, where to go, what to do.
Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
DrNothing said:
Hi, I'm 20 years old have always been interested in this stuff, mostly astrophysics/cosmology. I know just the basics of physics and never took any classes or anything. Right after high school I did a little 'soul searching' and the only thing I found out was that I wasted 2 years of my life...but I've rekindled my love for physics and want to take some serious classes. What I WANT to do is do this kind of stuff professionally. I just need someone to help me get back on track.

Some advice anyone?
What to take, where to go, what to do.
Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Welcome to the PF.

Are there any community colleges near where you live? You could start with a 2-year degree program to see how it all works out...

How is your math?? If you want to do physics, then this would be the first step.

If you're in the US, then you can go to a community college and study some math and physics courses such as algebra, trigonometry, geometry,precalculus, calculus, etc.

If you opt for self-studying (which tend to be quite difficult), then you might like the following books:

1) For high school math before calculus, try "basic mathematics" by Serge Lang. It's a very good book that covers everything you need to know before starting calculus.

2) For calculus, you should start with an easier book like "A first course in calculus" by (again) Serge Lang. This should cover calc I and calc II. A more rigorous (and difficult) book is Spivak's calculus which is great for a second course in calculus (but it's not necessary for physics).

3) If you already know calc I and II, then you can do basic calc-based physics. Any book called "physics for scientists and engineers" is standard. The book by Halliday and Resnick is an example of a good book.

4) A good resource for any of the above is of course Khan academy. Also check out Paul's notes. Other good resources can be found in our "math & science learning materials" section: https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=151

This should get you started. You can always use this forum to ask specific questions about what you're studying. Be sure to make a lot of exercises. If you're stuck (or if you want to check your answer), then the homework forums here should be a good help.

What is "Some advice from some smart people"?

"Some advice from some smart people" is a collection of tips and guidance from individuals who are considered knowledgeable and wise in their respective fields.

Why should I take advice from smart people?

Taking advice from smart people can provide valuable insights and perspectives that can help you make better decisions and achieve your goals more effectively. These individuals have often gained a wealth of knowledge and experience in their fields and can offer valuable guidance.

How can I find smart people to give me advice?

There are many ways to find smart people to give you advice. You can attend conferences and seminars related to your field of interest, join professional organizations, network with colleagues, or even reach out to individuals through social media or email. It's important to do your research and find individuals who have a proven track record of knowledge and success in their fields.

Can advice from smart people be applied to all situations?

No, not all advice from smart people may be applicable to every situation. It's important to consider the context and your own unique circumstances when receiving advice. It's also important to critically evaluate any advice and determine if it aligns with your values and goals.

How can I make the most out of the advice given by smart people?

To make the most out of the advice given by smart people, it's important to actively listen and engage in meaningful dialogue. Ask questions, seek clarification, and take notes. It's also important to reflect on the advice given and determine how it can be applied to your own situation. Ultimately, the key is to take action and implement the advice to see results.