Electromagnetism Finding E-fields

In summary, the electric potential for a configuration of charge can be represented by the expression V(r) = (Ae^(-pr))/(r), where A and p are constants. To find the E-field E(r), the charge density rho(r), and total charge Q, we can take the gradient of V using spherical coordinates and use the formula del dot E = rho/epsilon-not to obtain rho. However, if the charge distribution has a singularity at r = 0, the electric field will go to infinity and we will need to include a Dirac delta function in the volume charge density.
richard7893

Homework Statement

the electric potential of some configuration of charge is given by the expression:

V(r)= (Ae^(-pr))/(r)

where A and p are constants. Find the E-field E(r), the charge density rho(r) and total charge Q. The answer for rho is given in book as:
epsilon-not * A * ((1/r)4* pi* dirac delta^3 (r) - p^(2) e^(-p*r))
(The stuff inside parentheses is all divided by r

Homework Equations

-del V= E; del dot E = rho/epsilon-not ;

The Attempt at a Solution

I the took gradient of V using sperical coordinates using the formula
-del V= E

to obtain E.

Then I used the formula

del dot E = rho/epsilon-not

to find rho. I am not getting the same rho as in the book. I don't understand why the dirac delta function is in the answer. Do you have to perform an integration or am I taking a wrong apprach all together?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show how you got your volume charge density? What equation did you strart from?

the formula for obtaing rho goes thru this eqn:

del dot E = rho/epsilon-not

Del dot E in sperical coords. is : (1/r^2) d/dr [ r^2 V(r)] (the (1/r^2) and r^2 are built into the formula.) once i did this multipled both sides by epsioln-not to obtain rho. This question is from Grifiths electrodynamics book ed. 5 problem 2.46

Then what did you do? When you took the derivatives, did you say

[tex]\frac{r^2}{r^2}\frac{dV}{dr}=\frac{dV}{dr}\;?[/tex]

How justified are you in canceling out the r2 terms at r = 0? That's where the Dirac delta function comes in.

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b317/richard7893/?action=view&current=emag.jpg"
This is what I have so far if you click on the link. Can I cancel out the r^2 terms in the differential? Or do I distribute the r^2 in the numerator and then perform the differential? How can I insert a dirac delta function? If I cancel out the r^2 in the differential I don't get the same answer as the book.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the charge distribution has no singularity (does not blow up) as r goes to zero, then you can cancel the r2 in the numerator and denominator and proceed merrily on your way. If there is a singularity, then you essentially have "zero divided by zero". You know that in this case there is a singularity because the electric field goes to infinity as r goes to zero. This means a point charge at the origin which requires a Dirac delta function in the volume charge density.

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is the branch of science that deals with the study of electric and magnetic phenomena. It explains the relationship between electric and magnetic fields and how they interact with each other.

2. What are E-fields?

E-fields, or electric fields, are regions of space where electrically charged particles experience a force. They are created by electric charges and can be represented by lines of force called electric field lines.

3. How do you find the strength of an E-field?

The strength of an E-field can be found by measuring the force that a test charge experiences when placed in the field. The formula for calculating the strength of an E-field is E = F/q, where E is the electric field strength, F is the force, and q is the charge of the test particle.

4. What is the difference between electric and magnetic fields?

The main difference between electric and magnetic fields is the type of force they exert on charged particles. Electric fields exert a force on charged particles, while magnetic fields exert a force on moving charged particles. Additionally, electric fields are created by stationary charges, while magnetic fields are created by moving charges or currents.

5. How does electromagnetism impact our daily lives?

Electromagnetism plays a crucial role in our daily lives. It is the basis for many modern technologies such as electricity, telecommunication, transportation, and medical equipment. It also helps us understand natural phenomena such as lightning, auroras, and the Earth's magnetic field.