Charge density for a given potential

In summary: The gradient of a scalar function is just the gradient of that function (a vector). So, they used the gradient there.In summary, the question asks to calculate the charge density and electric field, given an electric potential. The solution involves using the equations ##E=-\nabla V## and ##\nabla E = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0}##, and considering the behavior at ##r=0## separately. By using the identity for the product of a scalar and a vector, the charge density is found to be ##\rho = \epsilon_0 A(4\pi \delta^3(r)-\lambda^2e^{-\lambda r}/r)##, and the
Silviu

Homework Statement

Given the electric potential ##V(r)=A\frac{e^{-\lambda r}}{r}## calculate the charge density ##\rho(r)## and the electric field ##E(r)##.
They specify the answer for charge density should be: ##\rho = \epsilon_0 A(4\pi \delta^3(r)-\lambda^2e^{-\lambda r}/r)##

Homework Equations

##E=-\nabla V##
##\nabla E = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_o}##

The Attempt at a Solution

For the electric field I got: ##E = Ae^{-\lambda r}(1+\lambda r)/r^2##, pointing in the r direction and this is the same as their answer. Then I tried to take the divergence of E, and in spherical coordinates this would be ##\nabla E = \frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial r^2 E}{\partial r} = \frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial (Ae^{-\lambda r}(1+\lambda r))}{\partial r} ## . However this doesn't give me a delta function so I am not sure where I did something wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your expression for the divergence is only valid for ##r\ne 0##. You need to consider what's happening at ##r=0## in another way.

Likes BvU
vela said:
Your expression for the divergence is only valid for ##r\ne 0##. You need to consider what's happening at ##r=0## in another way.
Thank you! So I found a solution online to this problem but I am still a bit confused. I attached their solution. So i understand how they obtain the delta function but when they apply the divergence to the other term, they use ##\frac{\partial}{\partial r}##. Shouldn't they use the divergence in spherical coordinates which is ##\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial (r^2 E')}{\partial r}##, with E' being the term that remained to be acted on?

Attachments

• problem.png
    problem.png
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,178
Silviu said:
So i understand how they obtain the delta function but when they apply the divergence to the other term, they use ##\frac{\partial}{\partial r}##. Shouldn't they use the divergence in spherical coordinates ...?
They are using the identity
upload_2017-2-19_16-56-10.png

where ##\psi## is a scalar function.

(See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_calculus_identities#Product_of_a_scalar_and_a_vector)

The second term on the right does not involve a divergence. It involves a gradient.

What is charge density?

Charge density refers to the amount of electric charge per unit volume of a material. It is typically represented by the Greek letter rho (ρ) and is measured in units of coulombs per cubic meter (C/m³).

How is charge density related to electric potential?

The relationship between charge density and electric potential is described by Gauss's law, which states that the electric field at a point is equal to the charge density at that point divided by the permittivity of the material. In other words, the higher the charge density, the stronger the electric field and potential at that point.

What factors affect charge density?

Charge density can be affected by a number of factors, including the amount and distribution of charge, the type of material, the presence of external electric fields, and temperature. These factors can cause changes in the charge distribution within a material and thus alter the overall charge density.

How is charge density measured?

Charge density can be measured using various techniques, such as Coulomb's law, which relates the force between two charged particles to their charge and distance. Another method is by using instruments such as a Faraday cage or an electrometer, which can detect and measure electric charge.

What are the applications of understanding charge density for a given potential?

Understanding charge density for a given potential is crucial in many areas of science and technology, including electrochemistry, semiconductor devices, and telecommunications. It allows for the prediction and control of electric fields and the behavior of charged particles, which is essential in designing and optimizing various devices and processes.