Solving trig equation for giving range

• Thread starter thomas49th
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Range Trig
In summary, to solve the equation 2tan²x + secx = 1 for 0 <= x < 360°, you can use the identity tan²x = sec²x - 1 and manipulate the equation to obtain a quadratic equation for cos x, which can then be solved to find the values of x that satisfy the original equation.
thomas49th

Homework Statement

(b) Solve, for 0 <= x < 360°, the equation
2tan²x + secx = 1,

Homework Equations

I think I have to solve it quadratically but I need to get the trigs to the same trig form

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]2\frac{sin^{2}x}{cos^{2}x} + \frac{1}{cosx} = 1[/tex]

but I can't see any other logical step after that?

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you relate tan^2 x to sec^2 x ?

thomas49th said:

Homework Statement

(b) Solve, for 0 <= x < 360°, the equation
2tan²x + secx = 1,

Homework Equations

I think I have to solve it quadratically but I need to get the trigs to the same trig form

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]2\frac{sin^{2}x}{cos^{2}x} + \frac{1}{cosx} = 1[/tex]

but I can't see any other logical step after that?

It would seem logical to me to multiply both sides by cos2 x: 2sin2 x+ cos x= cos2 x. Now replace sin2 x by 1- cos2 x and you have a quadratic equation for cos x.

HallsofIvy said:
It would seem logical to me to multiply both sides by cos2 x: 2sin2 x+ cos x= cos2 x. Now replace sin2 x by 1- cos2 x and you have a quadratic equation for cos x.

Or, as Defennder was hinting :wink:, use one of the standard trigonometric identities :
tan²x = sec²x - 1 :smile:

Last edited:
yay you i got it :) cheers :)

1. How do I solve a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you need to use algebraic techniques to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. You can then use inverse trigonometric functions or trigonometric identities to find the value of the variable.

2. What is the range for solving trigonometric equations?

The range for solving trigonometric equations is typically all real numbers, unless specified otherwise. This means that any value can be a solution to the equation.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve a trigonometric equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve a trigonometric equation. However, it is important to make sure that your calculator is set to the correct mode (degrees or radians) and that you are using the appropriate inverse trigonometric functions.

4. How do I check if my solution is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. You can also use a graphing calculator to graph both sides of the equation and see if they intersect at the solution.

5. Are there any special cases when solving trigonometric equations?

Yes, there are some special cases when solving trigonometric equations. These include equations with multiple angles, equations with double or half angles, and equations with trigonometric identities. It is important to be familiar with these cases and the corresponding techniques for solving them.