How do I measure function's increasing intervals length?

In summary, the conversation was about finding the length of an increasing function by using the roots of a quadratic equation. The formula to find the length is to take the biggest root and subtract the other root.
Goethe10
Is there a formula or something? When I solve quadratic equation I get two roots of x1 and x2. how can I find out the length? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not quite clear what you're asking. Are you asking the distance between [itex]x_{1}[/itex] and [itex]x_{2}[/itex]?

Yes I am, sorry for confusion

Well, on the face of it, just form the difference [itex]|x_{1}-x_{2}|[/itex]. Or are you trying to determine the distance between the roots without knowing the roots? Perhaps just from the original quadratic?

I'll try to explain something, excuse my English.
So the original equation is
-1/3x^3+1/2x^2+2x-5
With derivation I get
-x^2+x+2
The roots are 1 and -1
and I need to find length of increasing function

Still not clear. By taking the first derivative of the function and finding out where the derivative is zero, then this indicates where the original function has a local maximum or minimum point.

If it's not easy for you to ask your question in English, try asking it in your native language. There may be someone else on PF who can help.

I don't think so, ANYWAY I figured it out
I'll try to clear things up about what I was trying to say.. so when I find x1 and x2
Say x1 = -2 and x2 = 5
the formula for this was = I need to take biggest root and subtract the other root.
So 5 - ( - 2) = 7.

That's exactly what you were told before : [itex]|x_1- x_0|[/itex].

Related to How do I measure function's increasing intervals length?

1. What is the definition of a function's increasing interval length?

The increasing interval length of a function refers to the distance between consecutive points on the function where the y-values are increasing.

2. How do I identify the increasing intervals of a function?

To identify the increasing intervals of a function, you will need to plot the function on a graph and observe where the y-values are increasing. Another method is to find the derivative of the function and identify the intervals where the derivative is positive.

3. Can the increasing interval length of a function be negative?

No, the increasing interval length of a function cannot be negative. It represents the distance between points where the function's values are increasing, so it will always be a positive value.

4. Are there any specific tools or techniques for measuring the increasing interval length of a function?

Yes, there are specific tools and techniques for measuring the increasing interval length of a function. One common method is to use calculus, specifically the first derivative test, to find the intervals where the function is increasing. Another method is to use a graphing calculator or software to plot the function and measure the distances between points.

5. How does the increasing interval length of a function relate to its overall behavior?

The increasing interval length of a function is an important measure of its overall behavior. It can tell us how quickly or slowly the function is increasing, and can also give insight into the function's rate of change. A longer increasing interval length may indicate a slower rate of increase, while a shorter interval may indicate a faster rate of increase.