Finding Mass from Coulomb's Law: A Guiding Hand

In summary, to find the mass of the second particle, we can use Newton's third law and the equation m = F/a where F = kq^2/r^2. By knowing the mass, distance, and acceleration of the first particle, we can solve for the magnitude of the charge of each particle.
czaitz
I'm working with Coulomb's law, and finding the force from known charges is easy. But I don't know how to find mass from Coulomb's law, and I guess I don't know an equation that will help.

Two equally charged particles, held 3.8 x 10-3 m apart, are released from rest. The initial acceleration of the first particle is observed to be 5.8 m/s2 and that of the second to be 10 m/s2. If the mass of the first particle is 8.1 x 10-7 kg, what are (a) the mass of the second particle and (b) the magnitude of the charge of each particle?

A nudge in the right direction would be helpful...I have the mass of one particle, and acceleration. And distance between two particles, so I can find r2. But I am stumped how mass comes into things. All I can think of is F=ma.

Physics news on Phys.org
czaitz said:
I'm working with Coulomb's law, and finding the force from known charges is easy. But I don't know how to find mass from Coulomb's law, and I guess I don't know an equation that will help.

Two equally charged particles, held 3.8 x 10-3 m apart, are released from rest. The initial acceleration of the first particle is observed to be 5.8 m/s2 and that of the second to be 10 m/s2. If the mass of the first particle is 8.1 x 10-7 kg, what are (a) the mass of the second particle and (b) the magnitude of the charge of each particle?

A nudge in the right direction would be helpful...I have the mass of one particle, and acceleration. And distance between two particles, so I can find r2. But I am stumped how mass comes into things. All I can think of is F=ma.
That is all you need. m = F/a where [itex]F = kq^2/r^2[/itex]. If you know m, r and a you can find q. In order to find the mass of the other charge use Newton's third law - the centre of mass does not move.

AM

Last edited:
Ah, yes, thank you so much!

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the electrostatic force between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is Coulomb's Law related to finding mass?

In order to find the mass of a charged particle using Coulomb's Law, we need to know the charge of the particle, the distance between the two charged particles, and the magnitude of the electrostatic force. By rearranging the equation, we can solve for the mass of the particle.

3. Can Coulomb's Law be used to find the mass of any charged particle?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be used to find the mass of any charged particle as long as the necessary variables are known. This includes the charge of the particle, the distance between the two charged particles, and the magnitude of the electrostatic force.

4. What is the unit of measurement for mass in Coulomb's Law?

The unit of measurement for mass in Coulomb's Law is typically kilograms (kg). This is the standard SI unit for mass and is used in most scientific calculations.

5. Are there any limitations to using Coulomb's Law to find mass?

There are a few limitations to using Coulomb's Law to find mass. First, the particle being measured must have a known charge. Additionally, the particles must be at rest and the forces acting on them must be purely electrostatic. Other external forces, such as gravity or magnetic fields, can affect the results and must be taken into account.