Who Will Reach the Bottom of the Hill First?

• Thread starter Shaunzio
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the question of who would reach the bottom of a hill first if three people started at the same point but went down at different angles. The participants mention the force of gravity and how it affects the acceleration and speed of an object going down the slope. They also discuss the concept of free body diagrams and how the angle of the slope affects the transit time from the top to the bottom. Ultimately, it is concluded that the person going down the steepest slope (30 degrees) would reach the bottom first due to a greater acceleration and velocity.
Shaunzio
If there are 3 people going down a hill at different angles but still starting at the same point, who will reach the bottom of the hill first? The first person is going down a slope of 30 degrees. The second person is going down a slope of 20 degrees. And the last person is going down a slope of 10 degrees. Neglect friction.
F=maWell i thought that there was not enough information because you do not know the mass, but since it said to neglect friction then the person on the 30 degree would just be accelerating at gravity. Someone please tell me if I'm rite.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what a rite is? You should look it up.

Set up the problem of a block sliding down a hill at an angle theta above the horizontal. Find out how the angle affects the transit time from the top to the bottom. Then it will be fairly straight forward to answer the original problem.

sorry for my poor grammar but I still don't understand. Would the person at the 30 degree hill reach first since the angle is greater and therefore giving a greater velocity?

Did you read the second paragraph?

Ok...but I don't know how the angle affects the transit time from the top to the bottom. That's why I came here. If you could tell me that would be great. Thanks.

In the absence of friction and air drag, there is only one force, acting parallel to the slope, acting on the persons: the gravitational component acting down the plane. Are you familiar with free body diagrams? Intuitively, if the slope was real small, you wouldn't expect much acceleration or speed; if the slope was steep, you'd expect a lot more acceleration and speed, since speed and acceleration are related by the kinematic equations of motion. As theta increases, the acceleration down the plane increases, and thus the speed increases, independent of the person's mass. You might want to look at this site: www.ac.wwu.edu/~vawter/PhysicsNet/Topics/Dynamics/InclinePlanePhys.html[/URL] . (Scroll down to 'Frictionless incline with no applied forces'). I hope this helps to understand the situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is "Who Reaches the Bottom First?"

"Who Reaches the Bottom First?" is a scientific experiment that involves dropping objects of different masses from the same height and measuring the time it takes for them to reach the bottom.

2. What is the purpose of "Who Reaches the Bottom First?"

The purpose of "Who Reaches the Bottom First?" is to demonstrate the concept of acceleration due to gravity and how it affects the speed of falling objects.

3. How is "Who Reaches the Bottom First?" conducted?

"Who Reaches the Bottom First?" is conducted by setting up a controlled experiment where objects of different masses are dropped from the same height at the same time, and the time it takes for each object to reach the bottom is recorded.

4. What are the key factors that affect the outcome of "Who Reaches the Bottom First?"

The key factors that affect the outcome of "Who Reaches the Bottom First?" include the mass of the objects, the height from which they are dropped, and any external factors that may affect the speed of their descent, such as air resistance.

5. What are the real-life applications of "Who Reaches the Bottom First?"

"Who Reaches the Bottom First?" has real-life applications in understanding and predicting the motion of falling objects, which is important in fields such as engineering, physics, and even sports like skydiving and bungee jumping.