Collimating light from diffraction grating

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a collimated light source, plane diffraction grating, and a 1 meter focal length lens to create a line focus (fourier plane) at a distance of 0.7m. The question is raised about which equation to use, with the thin lens equation not providing the correct solution. The use of a plano convex lens is also mentioned. The relationship between x and y in this configuration is being questioned.
$id

Homework Statement

Consider the following, A collimated light source impinges on a plane diffraction grating and diffracts via the well known diffraction equation. The diffracted light is then collimated by a 1 metre focal length lens (good quality one). It is experimentally verified that the line focus(fourier plane) is at 0.7m if the distance between the grating and lens is 0.3m.

Now is the time for a silly question. I've tried to use thin lens equation 1/image + 1/object = 1/focal length but this clearly doesn't solve the problem above. Any ideas which equation I should be using? I assumed diffraction grating as a point source of light with some divergence. I know I am making the mistake somewhere but not sure.

I am using a plano convex lens. Does this matter?

Edit/ I've added the diagram now to make it clear. what is the relationship between x an y in this configuration.

Homework Equations

I think thin lens equation and grating equation are well known already.

The Attempt at a Solution

As mentioned already , the thins equation doesn't correctly predict the position of the line focus(fourier plane).

Attachments

• diffractionproblem.jpg
    diffractionproblem.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 931
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any ideas chaps?

What is collimation of light?

Collimation of light refers to the process of making light rays parallel to each other. This can be achieved by using devices such as lenses or mirrors.

What is a diffraction grating?

A diffraction grating is a device that consists of a large number of closely spaced parallel lines or grooves on a surface. It is used to separate light into its component wavelengths through the process of diffraction.

How does a diffraction grating collimate light?

A diffraction grating collimates light by diffracting the incoming light rays and producing a series of diffracted beams with different angles. The beams that are diffracted at the smallest angle are the most collimated and can be used for further experimentation or analysis.

What factors affect the collimation of light from a diffraction grating?

The factors that affect the collimation of light from a diffraction grating include the distance between the lines or grooves on the grating, the wavelength of the light, and the angle of incidence of the light on the grating.

What is the difference between collimation and dispersion of light from a diffraction grating?

Collimation refers to the process of making light rays parallel to each other, while dispersion refers to the process of separating light into its component wavelengths. A diffraction grating can be used for both collimation and dispersion, depending on the experimental setup and conditions.