HELP-how to make career in applied physics

In summary, the conversation revolved around someone who just completed their 12th year of schooling and is interested in pursuing a career in science and technology. They are seeking advice on how to choose the best courses for their goals, whether to go for engineering in ECE and then apply for higher study programs in applied physics, or to pursue a bachelor's in physics and then switch to engineering. They also express their desire to make a contribution and impact in their chosen field and the importance of studying at top universities for higher studies. Ultimately, the conversation ends with a discussion on the best selection procedures for masters and PhD programs.
dark-knight
hi all
just completed my 12th...
since childhood i have always been interested in studying science and always dreamt of applying it for the inventing new technologies and like...

can anyone help how to select courses for the same... i figured out two ways

a) i go for engineering in ece then going for applied physics in higher study programs or
b) bachelors in physics and then switch to engineering in higher programs

really confused what's the better option

my aim is to develop skills in engineering as well as research physics.

i really want to make an impact and contribute-and i know it is extremely important to study in the top universities especially for ur higher studies like masters and phd. can someone pls guide on selection procedures for the best universities for masters nd phd too

Physics news on Phys.org
dark-knight said:
hi all
just completed my 12th...
Birthday or year of schooling? In the former case, just focus on getting good grades and follow your interests, otherwise. And stop reading now.

a) i go for engineering in ece then going for applied physics in higher study programs or
b) bachelors in physics and then switch to engineering in higher programs
really confused what's the better option
Why is half an education in field X and half an education in field Y better than a full-fledged education in X or Y, anyways?

my aim is to develop skills in engineering as well as research physics.
Research physics is only taught starting from a PhD course. "Skills in engineering" are also taught in undergrad programs. So if you are serious about this then option (a) from above will be more suitable. I don't quite see why someone would hire an engineer for physics research, though.

i really want to make an impact and contribute
Welcome to the dreams of everyone else.

and i know it is extremely important to study in the top universities especially for ur higher studies like masters and phd. can someone pls guide on selection procedures for the best universities for masters nd phd too
Proper writing is rumored to play a role. And grades. And letters of recommendation. Which presumably brings us back to my first sentence above.

Timo said:
Birthday or year of schooling?
IT is actually equivalent of high school in my country.

Timo said:
Why is half an education in field X and half an education in field Y better than a full-fledged education in X or Y, anyways?
coz it occurs to me physicists can only do the theoretical stuff, they lack skills to actually apply nd invent something new. i want to know the theoretical stuff as well as its applications. pls correct me if i my approach is wrong.

Thanks.

1. What is applied physics?

Applied physics is a branch of physics that focuses on the practical application of theories and principles to real-world problems. It involves using scientific knowledge and techniques to develop new technologies, improve existing ones, and solve various challenges in industries such as engineering, medicine, and energy.

2. What are the career options in applied physics?

There are various career options in applied physics, including research and development, engineering, data analysis, and teaching. Some specific job titles within these fields include materials scientist, mechanical engineer, data scientist, and physics professor.

3. What skills are needed to excel in a career in applied physics?

To excel in a career in applied physics, you will need a strong foundation in physics and mathematics, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and the ability to work with complex systems and data. Additionally, skills in communication, teamwork, and adaptability are also important for success in this field.

4. What education is required for a career in applied physics?

Most careers in applied physics require at least a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field. However, for more advanced positions, a graduate degree, such as a master's or Ph.D., may be necessary. It is also important to continue learning and staying updated on new technologies and advancements in the field.

5. What are some tips for making a successful career in applied physics?

Some tips for making a successful career in applied physics include networking with professionals in the field, gaining hands-on experience through internships or research opportunities, and continuously learning and staying updated on advancements in the field. Additionally, developing strong communication and problem-solving skills can also greatly benefit your career in applied physics.