Applied Physics MS Programs in New England

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding masters programs in applied physics/engineering physics in New England or the northeast of the U.S. The individual is hoping to get a job in the DOE or the energy industry after completing the program. They mention Northeastern, WPI, Umass Boston, and Yale as potential universities, but are also open to other options. They are looking for advice on the value of such a degree and the competitiveness of the job market. They are specifically interested in data analysis/modeling and hope to be versatile enough to work in different industries. They are advised to check job listings on usajobs.gov and consider the job market for their chosen career path.
J1998
I am looking for masters programs in applied physics / engineering physics in ideally New England but also just the northeast of the U.S.. I am trying to create a list of all the universities that offer the degree because it is not particularly common. In New England I only know of Northeastern, WPI, Umass Boston, and Yale. I know there are plenty of others in the Northeast but I would really like to stay in Boston.

Physics news on Phys.org
Also if anyone has any information on these programs I would really appreciate it

What is your goal after completing such a program?

CrysPhys said:
What is your goal after completing such a program?
I am hoping to get a job in the DOE or at some government contracted company in the energy industry. I would also be happy as a general data scientist.

J1998 said:
I am hoping to get a job in the DOE

Have you looked at jobs.gov to see what they are hiring? Will this be competitive?

J1998 said:
I am hoping to get a job in the DOE or at some government contracted company in the energy industry. I would also be happy as a general data scientist.
If this is intended as a terminal masters program, you should check where alumni of the various schools have gotten jobs. As you yourself mentioned in your first post, these programs are not common: what value would a hiring manager assign to such a degree? Would the program at Northeastern be a co-op? If so, at least that would introduce you to potential employers.

The DOE hires data scientists, 'physical scientists', statisticians and all different kinds of engineers.

The thing is, I want to continue studying physics but I want to be able to get a job after. And I figure a masters in applied physics is much more hirable than a masters in physics.

For example, Northeastern requires you to pick a focus out of plasma/optics, materials/devices, or data analysis/modeling from which I would want to focus on data analysis/modeling. I personally feel like this would make me reasonably versatile and able to work in different industries.

J1998 said:
The DOE hires data scientists, 'physical scientists', statisticians and all different kinds of engineers.

Have you looked at jobs.gov to see what they are hiring? Will this be competitive?

Seriously, you need to do this. Not just blow off people who are trying to help you. (And it's usajobs.gov - sorry) A MS without experience is not qualified at all for "physical scientist". A MS with enough experience is only qualified at the GS-11 level. Usually "physical scientist" positions are looking at GS-14 or GS-15.

More importantly, how many of these jobs today are full-time, permanent, and open to the public (as opposed to transfers)? Zero. Nada. Zilch.

You have decided on a very narrow career path, and not preparing in a way that will make you competitive for that.

1. What is the difference between an MS in Applied Physics and a traditional MS in Physics?

An MS in Applied Physics focuses on the practical applications of physics principles in real-world situations, while a traditional MS in Physics focuses more on theoretical concepts and research. Applied Physics programs often have a stronger emphasis on hands-on experience and industry applications.

2. What types of careers can I pursue with a degree in Applied Physics?

Graduates of Applied Physics MS programs in New England can pursue careers in a variety of industries, such as aerospace, renewable energy, materials science, and medical technology. They may also work in research and development, engineering, or technical consulting roles.

3. Are there any specific prerequisites for admission to an Applied Physics MS program?

Most programs require applicants to have a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, with a strong foundation in mathematics and basic physics courses. Some programs may also require GRE scores and letters of recommendation.

4. Can I complete an Applied Physics MS program on a part-time basis?

Many programs offer flexible options for part-time study, allowing students to balance their coursework with other commitments. However, it may take longer to complete the degree on a part-time schedule.

5. What sets New England MS programs in Applied Physics apart from other programs?

New England is home to some of the top universities in the world, with strong reputations in science and technology. MS programs in Applied Physics in this region often have access to state-of-the-art facilities and equipment, as well as opportunities for collaboration with industry partners and leading researchers.