Using phone w/ PC VOIP application

In summary, the person is looking for a way to use their standard 2-line speakerphone with a VOIP application on their desktop instead of using a headset. They are wondering if there is an adapter that can connect the phone's port to the PC's speaker and microphone jacks. They do not want to purchase a special VOIP or dual-use phone. They also mention that their VOIP application is not Skype or Vonage. The other person suggests plugging the phone into the ear bud output of the phone if it has an aux input.
hotvette
Homework Helper
This may be ridiculous, but here goes...

I have a VOIP application on my desktop (for work) that I use at home with a simple headset with red and green speaker / microphone jacks. My standard 2-line speakerphone sitting next to my laptop at home obviously has a speaker and a microphone. Is there some way I can attach one of the phone ports of my phone to the PC jacks and use the physical phone instead of a the headset with the VOIP application? I don't care about ringing, I just want to use the speaker / microphone of the phone instead of the headset. I also don't want to go out and buy a speciality VOIP or dual use phone. I just want to use what I have.

I can imagine an adapter box that has a std phone jack on one side and PC style speaker / microphone jacks on the other. If it can (or can't) be done, can someone explain in terms that a non electrical engineer might understand? Seems so conceptually simple for a non electrical type.

P.S. If it matters, my VOIP application isn't Skype or Vonage. It is brand x.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes. If your speakerphone has am aux input, it could be plugged into the ear bud output of your phone.

1. How does using a phone with a PC VOIP application work?

The PC VOIP application allows you to make phone calls using your computer. When you connect your phone to the computer, the application uses your internet connection to transmit the call data to the recipient. The phone serves as a medium for the call, while the computer and application handle the technical aspects of the call.

2. Can I use any type of phone with a PC VOIP application?

Most PC VOIP applications are compatible with a variety of phones, including landline, cordless, and mobile phones. However, it is important to check the specifications and requirements of the specific application you are using to ensure compatibility with your phone.

3. What are the advantages of using a phone with a PC VOIP application?

Using a phone with a PC VOIP application offers several advantages. Firstly, it allows you to make phone calls from your computer, which can be more convenient and cost-effective. Additionally, you can access advanced features such as call recording and call forwarding, which may not be available on your regular phone service.

4. Do I need a special cable to connect my phone to the computer for a PC VOIP application?

In most cases, you will need a standard USB cable to connect your phone to the computer for a PC VOIP application. However, some applications may require a specific type of cable, so it is important to check the requirements beforehand.

5. Is it safe to use a phone with a PC VOIP application?

Using a phone with a PC VOIP application is generally considered safe. However, it is important to use a reliable and secure application to ensure the safety of your personal and call data. Additionally, be cautious when sharing personal information over the phone, as with any type of phone call.