What's it called? The tip of the water? Pic included

• Thread starter Raza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the term that is being referred to is "meniscus". It is a common term in chemistry and can be found by searching on burette or titration. The person asking for the term tried searching for "tip of water, chemistry, tube" but could not find it. JGM_14 suggested searching for "how to read a graduated cylinder". The term "vinculum" was mentioned, but it was clarified that the correct term is "meniscus".
Raza
I hate making post like this but this is urgent. I know there is a word for it. it's the top of the water. Please answer and thank you.

2351-10lg.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
meniscus

Have you tried to figure this our yourself? It's a very common term in chemistry and if you Google on burette or titration, you're almost certain to stumble on it.

JGM_14 said:
meniscus
Posts crossed. I tried not to just give the answer because it seems obvious that someone is looking for last minute homework answers.

It happens.

I just kept searching "tip of water, chemistry, tube". I really couldn't find it. Thank you, JGM_14, you know how it feels.

How to read a graduated cylinder. Google it.

Do you mean the vinculum?

ardisalis said:
Do you mean the vinculum?

or the miniscus?

ardisalis said:
or the miniscus?

sorry. meniscus

1. What is the scientific name for the tip of the water?

The scientific term for the tip of the water is the meniscus. This is the curved surface of a liquid in a container caused by surface tension.

2. Why is the tip of the water curved?

The meniscus is curved because of the cohesive forces between water molecules. These forces cause the water molecules to stick together and pull the surface of the water slightly upwards at the edges, creating a curved shape.

3. Does the type of container affect the shape of the tip of the water?

Yes, the type of container can affect the shape of the meniscus. For example, in a narrow test tube, the meniscus will be more pronounced and have a higher curve, while in a wide beaker, the meniscus will be flatter.

4. Can the tip of the water change with temperature?

Yes, the meniscus can change with temperature. As the temperature increases, the cohesive forces between water molecules decrease, causing the meniscus to become flatter. On the other hand, as the temperature decreases, the cohesive forces increase and the meniscus becomes more curved.

5. Is the tip of the water the same for all liquids?

No, the tip of the water, or meniscus, can vary for different liquids. This is because the cohesive forces between molecules differ for each liquid, resulting in different surface tensions and meniscus shapes.