Calculate Energy during Nuclear Fission

In summary, the process of fission of U-235 can also result in the formation of 141/56 Ba, 92/63 Kr, and 3 1/0 n particles. Using the masses of these particles, the amount of energy released can be calculated to be approximately 2.82 x 10^-11 J. However, there may be uncertainty about the last product formed as it is not clear if it is 3 protons or 2 protons and 1 neutron.
wilson_chem90

Homework Statement

Another possible form of the fission of U-235 is:
[tex]\begin{array}{cc}235&92\[\tex] U + [tex]\begin{array}{cc}1&0\[\tex] n [tex]/rightarrow[/tex] [tex]\begin{array}{cc}141&56\[\tex] Ba + [tex]\begin{array}{cc}92&36\[\tex] Kr + 3 [tex]\begin{array}{cc}1&0\[/tex] n

a) Given the masses of the particles in the table below, calculate the amount of energy released in the fission of a U-235 nucleus.

U = 234. 993 u
1 n = 1.008 u
Ba = 140.883 u
Kr = 91.905 u

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Before i start, I am not sure what to do with the last product formed from the U-235 reaction. I'mm not sure if its 3 protons or 2 protons and 1 neutron. anyways i just assumed it was 3 neutrons though.

Mass or reactants :
234.993 u + 1.008 u = 236.001 u
Mass of products:
140.883 u + 91.905 u + 1.008 u(3) = 235.812 u

Mass difference:
236.001 u
- 235.812 u
= 0.189 u
Energy released:

m = (0.189 u)(1.6605 x 10^-27 kg/u)
=3.138345 x 10^-28 kg

E = mc^2
= (3.138345 x 10^-28 kg)(2.998 x 10^8 m/s)^2
= 2.82 x 10^-11 J

Im honestly not sure that this is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
i couldn't do the laTeX image, but its 235/92 U + 1/0 n = 141/56 Ba + 92/63 Kr + 3 1/0 n

I am not familiar with the notation used in the problem, so I had to make some assumptions. Also, the last product formed from the reaction is most likely 3 neutrons, as stated in the problem. However, I am not sure how to calculate the energy released from the production of neutrons. It is possible that the mass difference calculated above already takes into account the mass of the 3 neutrons, but I am not certain. Further clarification on the problem and the notation used would be helpful in providing a more accurate response.

1. How is energy calculated during nuclear fission?

During nuclear fission, energy is calculated using Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2. This equation relates the amount of energy (E) released to the mass (m) of the reactants and the speed of light (c). By measuring the mass of the reactants and products, the amount of energy released during nuclear fission can be determined.

2. What factors affect the amount of energy released during nuclear fission?

The amount of energy released during nuclear fission depends on several factors, including the type of nucleus undergoing fission, the energy of the particles involved, and the stability of the resulting fragments. Additionally, the efficiency of the fission process and any energy losses during the reaction can also affect the amount of energy released.

3. How is energy from nuclear fission used?

The energy released during nuclear fission can be used to generate electricity in nuclear power plants. The heat produced from fission reactions is used to create steam, which then turns turbines to generate electricity. This process is similar to that used in traditional coal-fired power plants, but with nuclear fission, there are no harmful greenhouse gas emissions.

4. Can the energy released during nuclear fission be controlled?

Yes, the energy released during nuclear fission can be controlled through various methods. In nuclear power plants, control rods are used to absorb excess neutrons and slow down the fission process. Additionally, the design and materials used in nuclear reactors can also affect the control and efficiency of the fission reactions.

5. Is nuclear fission a sustainable source of energy?

Nuclear fission is considered a sustainable source of energy because it utilizes uranium, a relatively abundant element, as its fuel source. However, the long-term sustainability of nuclear energy depends on the management of nuclear waste and the development of advanced reactor designs that can use alternative fuel sources. Additionally, the safety and environmental impacts of nuclear power must also be carefully considered in determining its overall sustainability.