Electrical Engineering/Electronics: Battery Holder & 9V Snap Connector

In summary, the individual went to Radio Shack to purchase parts for an Electrical Engineering/Electronics book and encountered confusion when testing a battery holder with a 9V snap connector. They were able to resolve the issue by cleaning the connections and getting it to work properly.
PwNakahn
Hey everyone,

I just went to Radio Shack and picked up a few parts to begin a book on Electrical Engineering/Electronics. I'm taking it slow and trying to understand the theory behind everything before I progress - something simple has got me confused though.

I have two parts:
The battery holder is putting out an expected 6V when I test with a multimeter. However, it is putting out no voltage with a 9V snap connector. The 9V snap connector does produce voltage when connected to a single 9V battery. Is there a reason I can't use this connector here? I couldn't find much information regarding this question on Google. Thank you in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
There's nothing in the connectors that will make any distinction between 6V and 9V. They are just dumb pieces of metal. I would guess that it is physically making contact somewhere that it shouldn't. Maybe the wires are being shorted out, etc.

Since connecting to the battery holder gave me no read, I decided to connect the snap connector via alligator clip test leads. This measured 6V, as you said it should. All in all, I pulled around on the wires and cleaned the connections and managed to get it to work with the 9V snap connector directly to the battery holder. It seemed to be a fluke of some sort, confusing my newbie mind. Thank you for the quick help!

1. What is a battery holder?

A battery holder is a device that holds one or more batteries and connects them to an electrical circuit. It typically has contacts that make a connection with the positive and negative terminals of the battery, and also has wires or terminals for connection to the circuit.

2. What is a 9V snap connector?

A 9V snap connector is a type of connector that is used to connect a 9V battery to an electrical circuit. It is made up of two metal contacts that snap onto the positive and negative terminals of the battery, providing a secure connection.

3. How do I use a battery holder?

To use a battery holder, first insert the batteries into the holder, making sure to match the positive and negative terminals. Then, connect the wires or terminals of the holder to the corresponding points in the circuit. Finally, secure the batteries in place by closing the holder's lid or cover.

4. Can I use any type of battery in a battery holder?

No, you should only use the type and size of battery that is specified for the particular battery holder. Using the wrong type or size of battery can cause damage to the holder or the circuit.

5. Are there different types of battery holders?

Yes, there are different types of battery holders based on the size and type of batteries they hold, as well as the number of batteries they can hold. Some holders are also designed for specific uses, such as for outdoor or industrial applications.