Choosing the Right Resistor for a 6V DC Motor Running on a 9V Battery?

In summary, the conversation discusses using a small electrical motor rated for 6 volts DC and 150mA to rotate a radar dish in a diorama for a model train set. The individual is unsure of the packaging and asks for assistance in determining the appropriate resistor to use when running the motor off a 9 volt DC battery. Suggestions are made for using a small variable resistor and adjusting for the weight of the train, but the individual clarifies that the motor is not for the train itself, but for the diorama. The issue of direct drive from the motor to the rotating dish is raised.
wdlanghans
Hi!

I have a small (about 1") electrical motor that I'm using for a diorama for model train set.
The motor is rated for 6 volts DC and I think it said 150mA but I don't remembered and now I can't find the packaging.

It's this one if that helps

http://http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2914699#tabsetBasic"

What I would like to do is run it off a 9 volt dc battery, and I would like for it to move a slow as possible. What kind of resistor do I need?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I would say that a small variable resistor (like the kind at radio shack) would work rather well, seeing as how you can adjust the resistance to suit your needs. Just remember that as you decrease the speed you also decrease the power, and as a result the resistance will need to be adjusted for when you add the weight of the train. In other words, if you get it to spin at the desired speed as is, the resistance will need to be lessened when you put it in the train.

The motor isn't for a train, it's for part of the diorama; to make a radar dish rotate at a slow fixed speed if possible. I was hoping I could do it with a single resistor I just don't know how to figure out which one I need.

But, thanks for the reply :)

So are you thinking direct drive to this rotating dish from the motor? That will be a problem.

Related to Choosing the Right Resistor for a 6V DC Motor Running on a 9V Battery?

1. How do I troubleshoot a faulty electrical motor?

The first step in troubleshooting a faulty electrical motor is to check the power supply and make sure it is connected properly. If the power supply is not the issue, then check the motor's connections and wiring for any loose or damaged components. You should also check the motor's control switches and fuses. If all of these components are in good working order, then the motor itself may be faulty and will need to be repaired or replaced.

2. How often should an electrical motor be maintained?

The frequency of maintenance for an electrical motor depends on how often it is used and the environment it is used in. However, as a general rule, it is recommended to have the motor inspected and serviced every 6-12 months to ensure optimal performance and prevent any potential issues from arising.

3. What is the average lifespan of an electrical motor?

The average lifespan of an electrical motor can vary greatly depending on its usage and maintenance. However, on average, a well-maintained motor can last anywhere from 10-15 years. Factors that can affect the lifespan of a motor include the quality of its construction, the environment it is used in, and the level of maintenance it receives.

4. Can I replace an electrical motor myself?

It is not recommended to replace an electrical motor yourself unless you have experience and knowledge in working with electrical components. It is best to leave motor replacements to trained professionals to ensure the safety and proper functioning of the motor and its surrounding equipment.

5. What is the difference between a single-phase and three-phase electrical motor?

A single-phase motor operates with a single alternating current, while a three-phase motor operates with three alternating currents. Three-phase motors are typically more efficient and have a higher power output compared to single-phase motors. The type of motor needed will depend on the specific application and power requirements.