Transforming Limits of Integration for Variable Substitution

In summary, the problem is to evaluate the triple integral \int\int\int _E\(x^2y}\;dV, where E is the solid bounded by x^2/a^2+y^2/b^2+z^2/c^2=1. The solution involves using variable substitution x=au, y=bv, z=cw and converting to spherical coordinates. The limits of integration are u^2+v^2+w^2\leq1, with u varying from -\sqrt{1- v^2- w^2} to \sqrt{1- v^2- w^2}, v varying from -\sqrt{1- w^2} to \sqrt{1
pleasehelp12

Homework Statement

[tex]\int\int\int _E\(x^2y}\;dV[/tex]

Where E is the solid bounded by [tex]x^2/a^2+y^2/b^2+z^2/c^2=1[/tex]

Homework Equations

variable substitution x=au, y=bv, z=cw.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the jacobian (abc) and I substituted my variables but I can't find the limits of integration. The only equation I have for the limits is [tex]u^2+v^2+w^2\leq1[/tex]. I don't know how to find the limits of integration for u, v, and w individually.

Physics news on Phys.org
Now switch to spherical coordinates in u,v,w.

First decide on the order in which you want do integrate:
[tex]\int dudvdw[/tex]?

Fine. Project the figure on to the vw plane: v2+ w2= 1. Then project that onto the w line: the segment from w= -1 to 1. The limits on the outer "dw" integral have to be numbers. In order to cover the entire figure, w must vary from -1 to 1. For each w, then v must vary from [itex]-\sqrt{1- w^2}[/itex] to [itex]\sqrt{1- w^2}[/itex]. Finally, for each v and w, u varies from [itex]-\sqrt{1- v^2- w^2}[/itex] to [itex]\sqrt{1- v^2- w^2}[/itex]. Those are the limits of integration.

Of course, because u2+ v2+ w2= 1 is a sphere in uvw-space, spherical coordinates, as Dick suggested, are simplest. The limits of integration would be exactly the same as if it were x2+ y2+ z2= 1.

oh, ok thanks i didn't even think about switching to polor coordinates.

1. What is the variable substitution problem?

The variable substitution problem is a mathematical concept that involves replacing a variable in an equation or expression with a different value or variable. This is done to simplify the equation or solve for a specific variable.

2. Why is variable substitution important in scientific research?

Variable substitution is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to manipulate and analyze complex equations and models. It also helps in solving problems and making predictions based on different variables.

3. What are some common methods for variable substitution?

Some common methods for variable substitution include the substitution method, the elimination method, and the graphing method. These methods are used to solve systems of equations with multiple variables.

4. How does variable substitution differ from variable elimination?

Variable substitution involves replacing one variable with another in an equation, while variable elimination involves getting rid of a variable by manipulating the equations. Variable substitution is often used as a precursor to variable elimination.

5. Can variable substitution be used in real-world applications?

Yes, variable substitution can be used in various real-world applications, such as in economics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to model and predict outcomes based on different variables and can help in decision-making processes.