Calculating Current and Voltage in Series and Parallel Circuits

In summary: An expert summarizer would provide the following summary: The conversation is about how to find the equivalent resistance for a given source and voltages. The equivalent resistance is correct and the current is correct. However, the voltage on the resistor with 6 ohms would be 30V instead of 40V.
jsalapide
1.Find the equivalent resistance seen by the source and use the result to find i, i sub1, and v.

the equivalent resistance i got is 8 ohms
my value for i is 6A
and my value for i sub1 is 1A
my v is 40V,,

are my answers correct?? help.. I am quite unsure of these..

Attachments

• circuit.JPG
    circuit.JPG
    4.4 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not quite. Your equivalent resistance is correct. That's the good news.

But the Ii through the smaller of the parallel resistors would be bigger than the I2 of the larger resistor wouldn't it? I think you have the currents reversed. Namely that the current divides 5:1 alright, but the 5 goes through the smaller R, and the 1 through the larger.

Also, you know that the current is 6A from the power source. The voltage drop across the first R then will be 3*6 = 18V. That means that the voltage on the other side of the 3Ω is going to be 18V less than 48 or 30V, not 40 as you have written.

does that mean that the value of v is 30V?
if that's the case, what would be the voltage on the resistor that has 6 ohms?

Or should the voltage of the 6 ohms and 30 ohms resistor be the same? Because its already parallel.. am i right?

"Or should the voltage of the 6 ohms and 30 ohms resistor be the same? Because its already parallel.. am i right?"

Absolutely. Resistors in parallel have the same voltage across them.

jsalapide said:
Or should the voltage of the 6 ohms and 30 ohms resistor be the same? Because its already parallel.. am i right?

They are in parallel to the same nodes. And that node is at 30V. So ... yes the same voltage across both.

30V/6 = 5A and 30A/30 = 1 ... 5 + 1 = 6

The current's right. The voltages are right.

Alessandro Volta, Gustav Kirchhoff and Georg Ohm are all happy, even if all dead.

1. What is the difference between a series and a parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single loop, meaning the current flows through each component in order. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches, allowing the current to flow through each branch separately.

2. How does the voltage and current differ in series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the voltage is divided among the components, meaning each component receives a fraction of the total voltage. In a parallel circuit, the voltage is the same across each branch, but the total current is divided among the branches.

3. Which type of circuit is more resistant to failure, series or parallel?

Generally, parallel circuits are more resistant to failure because if one component fails, the current can still flow through the other branches. In a series circuit, if one component fails, the entire circuit will stop working.

4. How do you calculate the total resistance in a series or parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is the sum of all individual resistances. In a parallel circuit, the total resistance is calculated by finding the reciprocal of each resistance and adding them together, then taking the reciprocal of the sum.

5. What is the purpose of using a series or parallel circuit?

A series circuit is used when the components need to share the same current and voltage, such as in Christmas lights. A parallel circuit is used when different components require different currents and voltages, such as in a household electrical system.