Chemical to cut headlight oxidation?

In summary: Polycarbonate would not be clear after treatment.Methylmethacrylate (aka acrylic) would be clear after treatment.In summary, my friend needs to clean his head light lenses and they are plastic, does anyone know a chemical that will dissolve plastic or clean the lens to cut the oxidation, i could buff the lens but i would rather use a chemical, I was thinking along the lines of lacquer thinner.
cragar
My friend needs to clean his head light lenses and they are plastic , does anyone know a chemical that will dissolve plastic or clean the lens to cut the oxidation , i could buff the lens but i would rather use a chemical, I was thinking along the lines of lacquer thinner.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You mean plastic got oxidized? If its surface is chemically changed cleaning them won't probably help.

--

It's either road grime, or the lenses are scratched to hell. For the first, go to a car wash, or get a bucket of soapy water and apply some elbow grease. For the second, either live with it, or buy new lenses.

Plastic won't be transparent if the surface isn't smooth, and solvents won't help that. In fact, rubbing a bit of plastic with some acetone or other solvent might just be the quickest way to turn it opaque.

I guess it's not impossible to 'buff' plastic/polycarbonate. But it's so soft, it's probably very hard. There are those companies that rescue scratched CDs for people by resurfacing them, but I think they use some fairly refined equipment for that.

ok thanks , we already cleaned it with soapy water and other stuff and scrubbed really hard.

Toothpaste, especially with baking soda, is a favourite technque for reducing scratches in plastic.

DaveC426913 said:
Toothpaste, especially with baking soda, is a favourite technque for reducing scratches in plastic.

There is some truth in it. I am reducing scratches in plastic with toothpaste every day.

kool , thanks 4 the answers

You can buy a kit from many auto parts supply stores. It consists of two pieces of sandpaper of varying grit size (one fine and one really fine), some wipes to prep the surface and a liquid polymer solution. I've done this to my car and it makes the headlights look absolutely new. The opaque appearance is due to an irregular surface on the plastic surface of the lens. This is likely due to UV damage. To use the kit, you sand off this damaged surface and produce a uniform surface. The surface will appear frosted when dry but looks absolutely clear when wet. The sanded surface is filled with a polymer film former which has a refractive index close to that of the base lens material.

Costs about $20 and the kit does both lenses (WalMart Automotive dept.)

chemisttree said:
You can buy a kit from many auto parts supply stores. It consists of two pieces of sandpaper of varying grit size (one fine and one really fine), some wipes to prep the surface and a liquid polymer solution. I've done this to my car and it makes the headlights look absolutely new. The opaque appearance is due to an irregular surface on the plastic surface of the lens. This is likely due to UV damage. To use the kit, you sand off this damaged surface and produce a uniform surface. The surface will appear frosted when dry but looks absolutely clear when wet. The sanded surface is filled with a polymer film former which has a refractive index close to that of the base lens material.

Costs about $20 and the kit does both lenses (WalMart Automotive dept.)

Hm. Would that work on Lexan? I wonder if that would be an easy way to clear up the windows on my boat. (We don't need curtains because the windows are so fogged.)

The lenses on a car are likely polycarbonate while lexan is likely methylmethacrylate. I don't know if the solvents used in the product or the polymer solution would work but at $20/ft2 of treated area it sounds expensive. You might want to experiment with some fine sandpaper and floorwax!

I'm always getting Lexan and Lucite confused.

What is headlight oxidation?

Headlight oxidation is a process where the plastic surface of a headlight becomes cloudy or yellowed due to exposure to UV rays, pollution, and other environmental factors.

Why should I use a chemical to cut headlight oxidation?

Using a chemical to cut headlight oxidation is a quick and effective way to restore the clarity and brightness of your headlights. It can improve your visibility while driving and enhance the overall appearance of your vehicle.

How does a chemical to cut headlight oxidation work?

A chemical to cut headlight oxidation contains abrasive ingredients that help to remove the top layer of the oxidized plastic, revealing a clear surface underneath. It also contains UV inhibitors to prevent future oxidation.

Is it safe to use a chemical to cut headlight oxidation?

Yes, as long as you follow the instructions and safety precautions on the product label. It is important to wear gloves and protective eyewear when using these chemicals, and to work in a well-ventilated area.

Can I use a chemical to cut headlight oxidation on any type of headlight?

Most chemicals to cut headlight oxidation are safe to use on various types of headlights, including plastic, polycarbonate, and acrylic. However, it is always best to check the product label or manufacturer's instructions to ensure compatibility.