Physical chemistry textbook without a lot of calculus

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding a physical chemistry textbook without calculus and suggests looking for a generic chemistry book that covers all topics, including physical chemistry. It also mentions that there is generally less calculus and mathematical rigor in chemistry compared to physics. However, the emphasis is on understanding concepts and applying them to real-world problems, rather than just focusing on mathematical derivations.
Hi, I am looking for any physical chemistry textbook without a lot of calculus. I have been looking at physical chemistry for biological sciences but I am unsure if they cover the same topics as the regular atkins and other physical chemistry do. Does anyone have any suggestions for good books, or can tell me whether pchem for biological sciences books cover the same pchem topics?

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You probably won't find any books dedicated to physical chemistry that don't include calculus; there just wouldn't be enough material to make a book.

Try looking for a generic chemistry book that goes over everything. I have a book called Chemistry and Chemical Reactivity by Kotz & Purcell that is roughly 1200 pages, and about 100 of them are for physical chemistry. Most books are the same, so it really doesn't matter which one you get.

Generally, you won't see a lot of calculus and deviations in your chemistry textbooks.
and I dare to say, there is much less derivations in chem than physics !

mysqlpress said:
Generally, you won't see a lot of calculus and deviations in your chemistry textbooks.
and I dare to say, there is much less derivations in chem than physics !

Your comment is irrelevant. Calculus derivetions in books is not knowledge...knowledge is getting the concept and then applied them to real world problems.
Anyway, both physics and chemistry are physical sciences and rely heavily on mathematics. And to be honest, QM is the only part of physics which is mathematical rigorous.. And others? well, not so much.So back off a little bit.

What is physical chemistry?

Physical chemistry is a branch of chemistry that combines principles of physics and chemistry to study the physical properties and behavior of matter at a molecular and atomic level.

Why is a physical chemistry textbook without a lot of calculus necessary?

Many students struggle with calculus and may find it difficult to grasp the concepts in physical chemistry if they are bogged down with complex mathematical equations. A textbook without a lot of calculus allows students to focus on the fundamental principles and concepts of physical chemistry without being overwhelmed by advanced math.

What topics are typically covered in a physical chemistry textbook without a lot of calculus?

A physical chemistry textbook without a lot of calculus will typically cover topics such as thermodynamics, chemical equilibrium, kinetics, atomic and molecular structure, and spectroscopy. These topics are essential for understanding the fundamental principles of physical chemistry and do not require advanced calculus.

Can a physical chemistry textbook without a lot of calculus still prepare me for advanced studies in chemistry?

Yes, a physical chemistry textbook without a lot of calculus can still provide a strong foundation for students who wish to pursue advanced studies in chemistry. It covers the essential concepts and principles of physical chemistry and can serve as a starting point for more advanced topics that may require a deeper understanding of mathematics.

Are there any resources available for students who do want to learn the calculus behind physical chemistry?

Yes, there are many resources available for students who wish to learn the calculus behind physical chemistry. These include online tutorials, textbooks, and study guides specifically focused on the mathematical aspects of physical chemistry. However, these resources are not necessary for understanding the fundamental principles of physical chemistry.