Matrix Representation of S_z Using Eigenkets of S_y

In summary, the process of obtaining the matrix representation of S_z using the eigenkets of S_y as base vectors involves finding the transformation matrix U by operating on the S_z operator with the eigenkets and eigenbras of S_y, and then using this matrix to obtain the final representation of S_z in the S_y basis. The resulting matrix is S_z = (ħ√2/4) (1 -i; i i) which is obtained by operating U on the S_z operator.
indigojoker
Show the matrix representation of [tex] S_z [/tex] using the eigenkets of [tex]S_y[/tex] as base vectors.

I'm not quite sure on the entire process but here's what i think:

We get the transformation matrix though:

[tex]U = \sum_k |b^{(k)} \rangle \langle a^{(k)} | [/tex]

where |b> is the eigenket for S_y and <a| is the eigenket for S_z

this will give me a change of basis operator that i can operate on the S_z operator to get it into the S_y basis.

would this be the correct though process?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine.

Note: |a> is an eigenket for S_z; <a| would be an eigenbra that is in dual correspondence with |a>.

I get:

[tex]U =\left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} |+ \rangle \langle +| + \frac{i}{\sqrt{2}} |- \rangle \langle +| \right) + \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} |+ \rangle \langle -| - \frac{i}{\sqrt{2}} |- \rangle \langle -| \right)[/tex]

[tex]U= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left(\begin{array}{cc}1&1\\i&-i\end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex]US_z=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\frac{\hbar}{2}\left(\begin{array}{cc}1&1\\i&-i\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{cc}1&0\\0&-1\end{array}\right)[/tex]

thus, S-z in S_y basis is:
[tex]S_z=\frac{\hbar\sqrt{2}}{4}\left(\begin{array}{cc}1&-1\\i&i\end{array}\right)[/tex]

looks okay?

Last edited:

1. What is the matrix representation of Sz using eigenkets of Sy?

The matrix representation of Sz using eigenkets of Sy is given by the formula:
Sz =
        |+>yz|+>yyz|->y=
        |+>yz|+>yyz|->y=
        |+>yz|+>yyz|-y=
         |+>yz|+>yyz|+>y=
Where |+>yyy corresponding to the eigenvalues +1 and -1 respectively.

2. How is the matrix representation of Sz related to the spin operator Sz?

The matrix representation of Sz is a mathematical representation of the spin operator Sz in quantum mechanics. It allows us to calculate the expectation value of Sz for a given quantum state by simply multiplying the matrix representation with the state vector.

3. What are eigenkets and eigenvalues in quantum mechanics?

Eigenkets, also known as eigenvectors, are special vectors in quantum mechanics that represent the states of a physical system. They are the solutions to the Schrödinger equation and correspond to the observable properties of the system. Eigenvalues, on the other hand, are the possible values that can be measured for a given observable when the system is in a particular eigenstate.

4. How do we obtain the matrix representation of Sz using eigenkets of Sy?

To obtain the matrix representation of Sz using eigenkets of Sy, we first need to find the eigenkets of Sy corresponding to the eigenvalues +1 and -1. Then, we use the formula Sz = |+>yz|+>yyz|-y

5. Why is the matrix representation of Sz using eigenkets of Sy important in quantum mechanics?

The matrix representation of Sz using eigenkets of Sy is important because it allows us to study and understand the behavior of spin in quantum systems. It also serves as a fundamental tool in calculating the expectation values of spin operators, which are crucial in predicting the outcomes of measurements in quantum mechanics.