CNN: It's McCain and Palin

• News
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, John McCain has chosen Alaska Governor Sarah Palin as his running mate. Palin is a relatively unknown politician who has only been in office for two years. She is a Republican and is likely to be a strong supporter of the oil industry. The VP debate is likely to be interesting, as Biden is likely to bully Palin.

Evo said:
And a "special needs" baby to boot. Not much for "family values". Apparently career comes before family. Can anyone say "hypocrite"?

Yes. We've just become part of Rove's Smear Machine, but working the opposite end.

:(

Physics news on Phys.org

Evo said:
And a "special needs" baby to boot. Not much for "family values". Apparently career comes before family. Can anyone say "hypocrite"?

I think there will be more heard on the subject of her last baby. The rumor mill is likely already working that subject overtime right now.

WarPhalange said:
Yes. We've just become part of Rove's Smear Machine, but working the opposite end.

If she wasn't touting "family values" as being such an important part of her platform, it would be a different matter.

I made a very difficult decision to turn down a promotion I had been working for for years and quit my job to stay at home with my kids until they were 7 & 9. When I went back to work, I had to start over. It was an economic hardship, and something a lot of women simply cannot afford to do. Palin certainly can afford it. She has a job that affords her the ability to spend at least a decent amount of time with her baby, but she has opted to go on a grueling campaign instead. I personally cannot see going on a campaign of this nature with a 4 month old. I simply can't. I would have said, "thanks, but aside from the fact that I am not qualified, I have just had a baby". I think that will be an issue with a lot of women. That, of course, is her decision.

Last edited:
by the way, i am watching ms palin, and the first thing i noticed was someone has told her what my wife said about her hairdo, as it is already completely changed. i rest my case concerning what really matters in us elections.

keep your eye on the haircut. my wife predicts it will gradually get shorter.

mathwonk said:
by the way, i am watching ms palin, and the first thing i noticed was someone has told her what my wife said about her hairdo, as it is already completely changed. i rest my case concerning what really matters in us elections.
You really need to be careful MW, posts on PF appear minutes after they are posted. Your fashion tip may have cost Obama the election!

I hear Obama is going to have a sex change operation and bleach his skin white like Michael Jackson.

maybe, but i think we ought to get serious here. how about putting our money where our mouths are. is it appropriate to bet on the outcome? loser donates $1,000 to the forum? we could generate some serious cash.cyrus, you crack me up.

Since when does family values mean the mom stays home with their kid? A mom running in a presidential campaign, shouldn't have to much difficulty finding capable people to help take care of the kids.

Evo said:
If she wasn't touting "family values" as being such an important part of her platform, it would be a different matter.

I personally cannot see going on a campaign of this nature with a 4 month old. I simply can't. I would have said, "thanks, but aside from the fact that I am not qualified, I have just had a baby". I think that will be an issue with a lot of women. That, of course, is her decision.
Is there any way that Evangelical women (or any other women) with special needs children will condone her candidacy? That's tough. A woman decides to carry a Down Syndrome baby to term at the age of 44 and shortly afterward decides to spend all her time not caring for that baby, but in trying to become VP of the United States. Maybe this is her first and only shot at the brass ring, but she made a choice last spring that involved the best interests of that special-needs baby, and now his interests seem to be not that important. Who is going to nurture that kid? Nannies?

Last edited:
In the past, she's just taken the baby to work with her.

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story/382560.html

This should be interesting on the campaign trail. Don't know if that will be do-able.

Last edited by a moderator:

Evo said:
And a "special needs" baby to boot.
This was the reason that I predicted way back in May, that she wouldn't accept even if she was offered the position. Guess I misjudged her.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1745302&postcount=44

Gokul43201 said:
BobG said:
How about Sarah Palin as a VP for McCain.
I doubt that she'd want to do it. She gave birth to a baby last month - her son had been diagnosed with Down Syndrome. It's already very difficult balancing governance with childcare.

turbo-1 said:
Is there any way that Evangelical women (or any other women) with special needs children will condone her candidacy? That's tough. A woman decides to carry a Down Syndrome baby to term at the age of 44 and shortly afterward decides to spend all her time not caring for that baby, but in trying to become VP of the United States. Maybe this her first and only shot at the brass ring, but she made a choice last spring that involved the best interests of that special-needs baby, and now his interests seem to be not that important. Who is going to nurture that kid? Nannies?
Obviously as a career woman myself, you juggle work and family. But you don't do it with a tiny infant. And if you do, then you don't claim to be someone that puts family ahead in your life, that's dishonest, IMO.

Math Is Hard said:

This should be interesting on the campaign trail. Don't know if that will be do-able.
Men and women without infants almost crack from the strain, the incredibly long hours, the meetings, the dinners, the speeches. There is just so much time she will be separated from the baby. But, hey, she's obviously ok with with it.

Math Is Hard said:

The article only says that this is what she plans to do. I'm mildly curious to find out if she has been.

I was a little worried about her judgment, after reading about the Texas-Alaska flight, but having never been pregnant, I decided to give her the benefit of doubt. I've since heard the same concern been raised by others who have been pregnant.

i had a friend in college who decided to marry an extremely wealthy woman. when i went to wish him well, he was afraid to say a word, for fear of blowing it, and she had him sitting on a stool like a trained seal, responding only to her commands.

this is how mccain looks to me. its his last chance to marry a wealthy woman, (oops he already did that, so maybe now its power he wants), and he is afraid to say what he really thinks for fear of blowing it.

thats what his face looks like to me, my greedily expectant friend.

on the career side, i admit to going to work and leaving my 7 year old to let himself in the house after school alone for a couple hours.

Gokul43201 said:
I was a little worried about her judgment, after reading about the Texas-Alaska flight, but having never been pregnant, I decided to give her the benefit of doubt. I've since heard the same concern been raised by others who have been pregnant.
The more children you have, normally the shorter the time to delivery. A woman that has had 4 kids and her water breaks should be heading straight to the hospital. The reason is that once the water breaks, the baby is no longer protected by the amniotic sack, and also bacteria can get inside. Travel is absolutely advised against in this condition.

Evo said:
Obviously as a career woman myself, you juggle work and family. But you don't do it with a tiny infant. And if you do, then you don't claim to be someone that puts family ahead in your life, that's dishonest, IMO.
She made a choice, and it seems like much of her conservative appeal is based on that choice to bring a Down Syndrome baby to term at age 44. How can she set aside her available time with that child to pursue the Vice Presidency? Down Syndrome children are often short-lived, though we are surely not privy to this child's prognosis. Even so, she has a prominent and well-compensated position (Governor of Alaska), so why should she perhaps sacrifice her potential time with this precious child and reject the blessing that she and her husband so publicly proclaimed? Will anybody ask this question?

castlegates said:
Since when does family values mean the mom stays home with their kid? A mom running in a presidential campaign, shouldn't have to much difficulty finding capable people to help take care of the kids.

Many liberals would likely see it that way but 'traditional values' conservatives most often won't see it that way. My friend who pointed it out is very much liberal and even though she has not had a child she thinks its terrible.

Miss Wasilla 1984:
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/dayglored/Sarah-Palin-Miss-Wasilla-1984.jpg

Evo said:

WarPhalange said:

I can see membership in PUMA inching up as I speak.

Seriously, this would be a real delicate issue for Dems to attack.

BobG said:
I can see membership in PUMA inching up as I speak.
Oh, did you see the denouncement by NOW? That should turn a lot of PUMA's back to Obama.

Seriously, this would be a real delicate issue for Dems to attack
It seems this issue is already being brought up all over the interent.

I think Palin is going to be attacked for minor details, and democrats are going to look pretty stupid in the attack of those details, but this will be of no surprise, as most liberals have the distinction of being emotional pigs (they can't help themselves). If the democrats can keep in check their sensitivities, and let the cards fall where they may in regards to Palin, Palin will likely self destruct on her own accord. Why shoot at someone who has practice shooting back?

huhhh? what's an emotional pig? did someone break your heart over an election?

castlegates said:
I think Palin is going to be attacked for minor details, and democrats are going to look pretty stupid in the attack of those details, but this will be of no surprise, as most liberals have the distinction of being emotional pigs (they can't help themselves). If the democrats can keep in check their sensitivities, and let the cards fall where they may in regards to Palin, Palin will likely self destruct on her own accord. Why shoot at someone who has practice shooting back?

I suspect she is already becoming yesterday's news at this point, though there are some interesting rumors that have cropped up that may take on a life of their own.

Surviving Gustov and the Republicans stumbling all over themselves in this election year to pretend how compassionate they are, and trying to get anyone to care they are having a convention will likely put the squeeze on going after her for now.

LowlyPion said:
I suspect she is already becoming yesterday's news at this point, though there are some interesting rumors that have cropped up that may take on a life of their own.
You mean the rumor about her son actually being her grandson?
Now that's entertainment!

Surviving Gustov and the Republicans stumbling all over themselves in this election year to pretend how compassionate they are, and trying to get anyone to care they are having a convention will likely put the squeeze on going after her for now.
If you are referring to Katrina, as if to say that republicans don't care about the people they represent, you might have a point, but that episode really can be explained, as Bush is and still is the dumbest president in my living memory. So they really do have a bonifide excuse for not being able to get water to a boat load of people for days on end. :-)

TheStatutoryApe said:
Many liberals would likely see it that way but 'traditional values' conservatives most often won't see it that way. My friend who pointed it out is very much liberal and even though she has not had a child she thinks its terrible.

I had dinner with some conservative friends and this was the issue that came up first and it was brought up by a woman. This will hurt her.

I wonder how many groups this pic will offend.

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2008-08/41999285.jpg

It is interesting that none of the usual conservative attack dogs are even trying to defend Palin. Guys?

wildman said:
I had dinner with some conservative friends and this was the issue that came up first and it was brought up by a woman. This will hurt her.

I'm not sure it will hurt her because I'm a woman and I'm a moderate conservative and I really don't give a rat's patoot how she raises her kid. All I care about is how well she can do the job. If she can do it with the little papoose strapped to her back, then rock on.

This account is almost painful:

"Where do your children's names come from?

TODD: Sarah's parents were coaches and the whole family was involved in track and I was an athlete in high school, so with our first-born, I was, like, 'Track!' Bristol is named after Bristol Bay. That's where I grew up, that's where we commercial fish. Willow is a community there in Alaska. And then Piper, you know, there's just not too many Pipers out there and it's a cool name. And Trig is a Norse name for "strength.""

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20222685_2,00.html

I read elsewhere Piper's name is Piper Indy - named after their Piper Cub plane and Todd's snowmobile. The daughter named after the father's toys?

Sounds to me like the way stoners might name their kids.

Well at least they put a lot of thought into naming the kids.

I don't think Barack Obama can play the "Your name sounds funny" card.

Cyrus said:
Honestly, school of Journalism from Idaho?....What award winning journalists ever came out of that place?
Here you go Cyrus.

Bza63nnqiKA[/youtube] I rest my case! :biggrin:

Evo, looks like you're going to love this one as well.

In 1996, Palin endorsed Pat Buchanan in 1996, ran fund-raisers for him and was his Alaska state director.

Buchanan loves her right back!

U9rZkJfKoEU[/youtube] Some quotes ...r.[/quote] (Right from the Beginning, p. 341)

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
Yay! All the better to do the shoppin', cookin' and cleanin' with.

Mexicans are the real liberators. We don't have to clean the house or weed the garden.

LowlyPion said:
I think there will be more heard on the subject of her last baby. The rumor mill is likely already working that subject overtime right now.
Yeah - and that is so stupid.

Apparently the latest rumor is that Palin's youngest is her daughter's daughter.
Sarah Palin hit by internet rumours over fifth child
If Mrs Palin, a conservative mother of five, ever doubted that landing on a national presidential ticket would open her to the harshest of spotlights and smear tactics, she also awoke yesterday to utterly unfounded internet rumours that her fifth child, born in April with Down’s Syndrome, was actually her 17-year-old daughter’s.
:rolleyes:

The Times article does mention some other important issues, e.g. Palin campaigned as governor in favor of the 'Bridge to Nowhere', then as governor, she changed her position. Of course, the Republicans/conservatives love to point out flip-flops by Obama or Kerry. But that is entirely disingenous, since Republican politicians are just as likely to flip-flop.
When she made her debut speech on Friday she immediately touted her success in killing off the infamous “Bridge to Nowhere”, which would have connected Gravina Island with Ketchikan international airport, a project that had become a nationwide symbol of the wasteful, pork-barrel spending that Mr McCain has made a cornerstone of his campaign.

Yet in a first unsettling revelation – which the McCain camp will hope does not become a pattern – the Anchorage Daily News reported yesterday that when she ran for governor Mrs Palin campaigned on a “build the bridge” platform. The newspaper, in a reference to John Kerry’s alleged “flip-flopping” in the 2004 presidential campaign, said: “Palin was for the Bridge before she was against it.”

Even her mother-in-law, Faye Palin, who said she was still thinking of voting for Mr Obama, sounded sceptical. She said: “I’m not sure what she brings to the ticket, other than she’s a woman and a conservative.”

A lot of people are viewing the selection of Palin as nothing more than a bid to attract women, conservatives and evangelicals - rather than her being selected based on qualification.
Although she made a clear bid for suburban mothers and disaffected Hillary Clinton supporters on Friday, her choice has thrilled and energised conservative Republicans and evangelicals, solving in a stroke Mr McCain’s struggle to motivate his base, whose turnout will be crucial in battleground states such as Ohio and Michigan.

This is a rather surreal election year.