CNN: It's McCain and Palin

• News
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, John McCain has chosen Alaska Governor Sarah Palin as his running mate. Palin is a relatively unknown politician who has only been in office for two years. She is a Republican and is likely to be a strong supporter of the oil industry. The VP debate is likely to be interesting, as Biden is likely to bully Palin.
mheslep said:
What about Gov. Palin justifies a cute comparison to child abuser Joan Crawford?
Joan Crawford (AKA Mommie Dearest) was a woman that went to great lengths to give the public the appearance of a wonderful, loving family, with deep "family values", when in reality she put her own hapiness and ambitions ahead of those of her children. It is that kind of character that I personally pick up from Palin's actions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
. . . . when in reality she put her own hapiness and ambitions ahead of those of her children. It is that kind of character that I personally pick up from Palin's actions.
I was looking at photos of Bristol holding trig, and she somehow doesn't seem happy. There is one picture where Sarah Palin is exiting a stage, and Bristol looks pretty miserable, as in - "well mom is having fun, and I'm stuck with the baby." It looks like Ms. Palin has pushed off child rearing to her oldest daughter, while she goes off and parties. But it's just a father's perception.

And contrary to what the religious right or evangelicals have everyone believe, it's not normal or typical, except perhaps for some dysfunctional families.

Edit: I also don't want to put this all on Ms. Palin's shoulders. I'm wondering where the heck her husband is all this, and why isn't he talking care of Trig, and why do they have a few months old baby at a noisy convention.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Joan Crawford (AKA Mommie Dearest) was a woman that went to great lengths to give the public the appearance of a wonderful, loving family, with deep "family values", when in reality she put her own hapiness and ambitions ahead of those of her children. It is that kind of character that I personally pick up from Palin's actions.
Would you say this of any mother that has succeeded in a life outside the home...or is this just a barb directed at Palin for political reasons? I think you have little idea about her home life...certainly not enough to brand her as a hypocrit.

LowlyPion said:
On the one hand I see this ethics brouhaha as payback for Palin's attacks against the other Republicans in Alaska that has been under the guise of this fighting corrupt politicians.
It's hard for me to see her as a big corruption-fighter. She chaired a 527 PAC for Ted Stevens for 2 years and fought for the "bridge to nowhere" and got millions of dollars in earmarks for her town when she was mayor. There is a campaign ad with Ted Stevens endorsing her candidacy, but it has been removed from her web site. However, thanks to the fine folks that brought us youtube:

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
Well everyone's entitled to whatever personal vibe they get from Gov. Palin, but a Mommie Dearest comparison? Crawford did much worse to her offspring than engage in self indulgence, she'd should have been jailed for her crap; Crawford-Palin is fairly outlandish comparison that facts on the table don't justify.

Regards her baby: she's not a single parent; I don't see a mass labelling of executive fathers of newborns as Daddy Dearest for failing to quit their jobs and stay home. She also must have done her share of diaper changing before entering politics in '92. For that matter we have an entire country of families where at least one parent maintains a demanding job right through a new child. Regards her pregnant daughter: all child rearing parents are unsuited for political office based on the banter in this thread. There are plenty of national level politicians that should have resigned or never started based on that logic.

Evo said:

I think it's called narcissism.
Clinically Narcissistic Personality Disorder is characterized by:
DSM_Wikipedia said:
A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

1. has a grandiose sense of self-importance
2. is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
3. believes that he or she is "special" and unique
4. requires excessive admiration
5. has a sense of entitlement
6. is interpersonally exploitative
7. lacks empathy
8. is often envious of others or believes others are envious of him or her
9. shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

LowlyPion said:
I think it's called narcissism.
Clinically Narcissistic Personality Disorder is characterized by:
That sounds like a possibility.

turbo-1 said:
This should go over well. Palin slashed funding for a suite of programs designed to help young people in trouble, include Passage House that affords young unwed mothers a place to live with their babies for up to 18 months while learning the skills that will allow them to get jobs and live independently.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/th...lin_slashed_funding_to_help.html?hpid=artslot

Palin_via_Washington_Post said:
"We ask the media to respect our daughter and Levi's privacy, as has always been the tradition of children of candidates."

This might also be interpreted to say, "Please don't talk to Levi and get his side of things as to how he is being forced to marry our daughter."

isly ilwott said:
I wouldn't call it slashing.

OK. It's apparently just a 20% cut in funding authorized by Palin's initials.

I'd say you are splitting hares on this.

On a slightly different issue I wonder do you support the discussion, if not the teaching of Intelligent Design in public schools the way Palin does?

Astronuc said:
I was looking at photos of Bristol holding trig, and she somehow doesn't seem happy. There is one picture where Sarah Palin is exiting a stage, and Bristol looks pretty miserable, as in - "well mom is having fun, and I'm stuck with the baby." It looks like Ms. Palin has pushed off child rearing to her oldest daughter, while she goes off and parties. But it's just a father's perception.

I think that Bristol needed to hold something in front of her now obvious baby bump. I would look uncomfortable as well in her situation and it wouldn't be because I saw mommie having fun. Not at all.

Evo said:
That sounds like a possibility.

Do you see yourself as the glue that holds that cracked glass ceiling intact?

chemisttree said:
Do you see yourself as the glue that holds that cracked glass ceiling intact?
I'm for women's rights, something Palin doesn't appear to be for, IMO. So your comment makes no sense if you are referring to being for women's rights.

chem, you are free to have your opinions and I am free to have mine, but you are not free to make snide remarks about another member.

mheslep said:
Only in that McCain needs that political philosopher somewhere in his team, it need not be the VP, and historically the VP is not the number 2 guy running the show.
In recent history, the VP seems to be the number 1 guy running the show.

Obama is going to be haunted by the 'is he up to it' question on matters of force to which I credit his loose cannon statements on Pakistan - trying to prove he's tough enough.
Can you quote some of these loose cannon statements, and explain how they qualify as loose cannon?

LowlyPion said:
This might also be interpreted to say, "Please don't talk to Levi and get his side of things as to how he is being forced to marry our daughter."
Both teenagers are still in high school and living in their parents home. Their parents are their guardians, and it is certainly appropriate for the parents to tell the media - "back off!"

I sure wouldn't want reporters calling or pressuring my children for a story. If the kids want to make a statement - fine, but the media need to back off.

I have to wonder if both teens are being forced into a marriage they would not otherwise enter. I seriously doubt they lack the maturity, especially when the young man boasts about kicking someone's a$$ if they mess with him. Sad situation IMO.

Gokul43201 said:
In recent history, the VP seems to be the number 1 guy running the show.

This would be a failing of Bush's, not a blueprint for something that would be ideal.

Gore certainly stood ready to serve. Bush the Elder did as well. But they served for stronger President's than we've had the last 8 years.

Astronuc said:
Both teenagers are still in high school and living in their parents home. Their parents are their guardians, and it is certainly appropriate for the parents to tell the media - "back off!"

I sure wouldn't want reporters calling or pressuring my children for a story. If the kids want to make a statement - fine, but the media need to back off.

I have to wonder if both teens are being forced into a marriage they would not otherwise enter. I seriously doubt they lack the maturity, especially when the young man boasts about kicking someone's a$$ if they mess with him. Sad situation IMO.

It is even within this context presumptuous of Palin though to suggest that the media not talk to Levi. He is not a member of her family. She does not speak for him as much as she might wish to control what he may say.

Astronuc said:
Actually, his mother said that he is no longer in school, apparently he dropped out?

Levi Johnston, a high school hockey player for Wasilla High School, is not listed on the team roster for 2008-2009, and his mother wouldn't say if he graduated. She said simply he's no longer a student and any further information would have to come from him.

isly ilwott said:
It is amusing how the liberal crowd...the crowd that loves the short marriages forged by the liberal Hollywood sleaze, the crowd that forgives the live-togethers as long as they are famous people...
Here's what Sarah Palin thought about ex-model Ivana Trump - Ivana has been through 4 marriages (the shortest one not making it through the second year) and I don't know how many live-togethers - who visited Anchorage in 1996. I believe this was a few months before Palin was elected Mayor of Wasilla.

From an April 1996 report in the Anchorage Daily News:
ALASKANS LINE UP FOR A WHIFF OF IVANA

Sarah Palin, a commercial fisherman from Wasilla, told her husband on Tuesday she was driving to Anchorage to shop at Costco. Instead, she headed straight for Ivana.

And there, at J.C. Penney's cosmetic department, was Ivana, the former Mrs. Donald Trump, sitting at a table next to a photograph of herself. She wore a light-colored pantsuit and pink fingernail polish. Her blonde hair was coiffed in a bouffant French twist.

"We want to see Ivana," said Palin, who admittedly smells like salmon for a large part of the summer, "because we are so desperate in Alaska for any semblance of glamour and culture."
Some here might say that sounds like liberal sleaze-talk.

(Requires membership) http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we...=_rank_:D&xcal_ranksort=4&xcal_useweights=yes

Parts of that original report or the quote in it can be found in other News stories.
Example:http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wa...stions_surround_palin_as_sp.html?hpid=topnews

Last edited:
Evo said:
Actually, his mother said that he is no longer in school, apparently he dropped out?

Makes me wonder if he is being paid by some right-wing benefactor to lay low - real low until after November. Is he in hiding somewhere? Gone fishing?

It further sounds like she has no problem with the media talking to him, so that would suggest that Palin has no standing to be telling the press or anyone to stay away from him.

He is 18 and old enough to be able to be shot at in the Army. He must be old enough to deal with the press and answer a few innocuous questions about his relationship with Bristol.

Hee hee! Mike Murphy & Peggy Noonan (both Republican strategists) trashing Sarah Palin during an open mike incident, after an interview with Chuck Todd.

CrG8w4bb3kg[/youtube] [quote]Mike ...url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peggy_Noonan

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
Hee hee! Mike Murphy & Peggy Noonan (both Republican strategists) trashing Sarah Palin during an open mike incident, after an interview with Chuck Todd.

This is what is so disingenuous about TV. They smile and deliver milquetoast platitudes and then stick the shivs in off camera.

Gokul43201 said:

CrG8w4bb3kg[/youtube] Murphy...url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peggy_Noonan
I've come to the conclusion that no one with a clue about what is going on honestly believes that Palin can cut the mustard. Even McCains wife on tv said that she disagrees with Palin's beliefs on abortion. I'll post that link later.

One thing keeps coming back to my mind. Some of you may remember an episode of "WKRP in Cincinnati" where Mr. Carlson, wanting to make a leader's decision, fails to inform his people about his upcoming stunt: he goes on to drop live turkeys from a helicopter on Thanksgiving Day as a gift to the city. After the disaster he could only plead "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

I wonder why I keep thinking about that episode...

Evo said:
I've come to the conclusion that no one with a clue about what is going on honestly believes that Palin can cut the mustard. Even McCains wife on tv said that she disagrees with Palin's beliefs on abortion.
Now, just because you disagree with her on some issue doesn't mean you are doubtful about what she is capable of.

Sarah Palin's mother-in-law, however, came a lot closer to expressing doubt about her qualifications, when she said:
I'm not sure what she brings to the ticket other than she's a woman and a conservative. Well, she's a better speaker than McCain.
People will say she hasn't been on the national scene long enough. But I believe she's a quick study.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/republican_race/2008/08/30/2008-08-30_sarah_palins_motherinlaw_uncertain_about.html

Bristol and Levi are greeted by McCain.

Evo said:
Ok - so he's a high school drop out (or is he just off the team) and living at home with his parents. And he's going to marry the girl he got pregnant!? Well he is 18 and his parents and the government cannot make him go to school.

Great start - great example of 'family values'. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, but this whole scenario is not the norm.

edward said:

And the Republicans are playing this up. One more reason why the McCain-Palin team is ill-suited to lead the country.

edward said:

He looks like a clown. A robot clown at that.

I really can't stand this BS 'I care about you' nonsense. Let me hug you, and you, and you, and kiss the baby. It's fake, and worse it's obviously fake.

Pathetic...makes me sick to my stomach to watch.

It would seem obvious from her speech tonight that she connects with the average everyday family (The cornerstone of any election),

Cyrus said:

I really can't stand this BS 'I care about you' nonsense. Let me hug you, and you, and you, and kiss the baby. It's fake, and worse it's obviously fake.

Sometimes you just have to laugh, try this.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p315/96FXD/ChipmuckCheeks.jpg

castlegates said:
It would seem obvious from her speech tonight that she connects with the average everyday family (The cornerstone of any election), and the unabashed showing of her new born for all the world to see turned a few million votes in an instant. I might even vote for the first time in twenty years. Just kidding ... I'll never vote as long as it's a popularity contest. All in all, Sara did a decent job.

I'll give you that, castlegates, she gave a good speech. Didn't change my vote, though.

There was a lot of sniping from her and Giuliani tonight, IMO. Look, politics doesn't have to be nasty or mean, in spite of the last 8 years. Such a put-off. I hate bullies with a white-hot passion...and the way the crowd cheered when she mentioned his community organizing work came off as simply mean, like a bunch of programmed robots responding the way they are supposed to.

I still don't see her staring down Putin in a crisis - no way, no how.

Last edited:
At the same time though she also states...

Faye Palin admitted she enjoys hearing Barack Obama speak, and still hasn't decided which way she'll vote.

"We don't agree on everything. But I respect her passion,"

"I'm not sure what she brings to the ticket other than she's a woman and a conservative. Well, she's a better speaker than McCain," Faye Palin said with a laugh. "People will say she hasn't been on the national scene long enough. But I believe she's a quick study."

IMO, someone being a quick study is a good thing. Someone who can pull in and analyze information quickly. Someone who can quickly adapt to to what is thrown at them. Also, i'd like to point out this statement by Faye Palin...

She said people doubted Sarah Palin when she ran for City Council, but that her daughter-in-law had a "singular focus."

Many people may also doubt her ability as running for VP. IMO, Palin being in the singular liable position as Mayor of a town for six years, along with holding the singular liable position as governor of Alaska from '06 to present, shows better leadership and governmental skill than a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama" who has simply shared responsibility with other numerous senators. One who has never had complete responsibly hanging over his head, and his head alone.

Sarah Palin stepped up to the plate and led with complete responsibility on herself as the leader.

I like that.

B. Elliott said:
At the same time though she also states...

IMO, someone being a quick study is a good thing. Someone who can pull in and analyze information quickly. Someone who can quickly adapt to to what is thrown at them. Also, i'd like to point out this statement by Faye Palin...

Many people may also doubt her ability as running for VP. IMO, Palin being in the singular liable position as Mayor of a town for six years, along with holding the singular liable position as governor of Alaska from '06 to present, shows better leadership and governmental skill than a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama" who has simply shared responsibility with other numerous senators. One who has never had complete responsibly hanging over his head, and his head alone.

Sarah Palin stepped up to the plate and led with complete responsibility on herself as the leader.

I like that.

That's basically saying, well she doesn't have any idea what she's doing BUTTTTTTT she does learn things quickly...:rolleyes:

That's why people say: you can't put a price on experience.

Okay, so she can adapt to what's thrown at her at a small town. How does that have any bearing on a national/global scope?

How can you sit here and praise a woman that wants to teach against evolution in schools?

Cyrus said:

Cyrus - He was tortured for five and a half years. You got to at least allow for a little stiffness. :-)
And you are inside his head, and you know there is evil within?