The Power of the Vice President

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary: Sarah Palin.In summary, Palin is thankful for the Constitution's flexibility in the office of the vice president, and she and McCain have had good conversations about where she would lead with his agenda.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
PALIN:... I'm thankful the Constitution would allow a bit more authority given to the vice president if that vice president so chose to exert it in working with the Senate and making sure that we are supportive of the president's policies and making sure too that our president understands what our strengths are. John McCain and I have had good conversations about where I would lead with his agenda.

...PALIN: Well, our founding fathers were very wise there in allowing through the Constitution much flexibility there in the office of the vice president. And we will do what is best for the American people in tapping into that position and ushering in an agenda that is supportive and cooperative with the president's agenda in that position. Yeah, so I do agree with him that we have a lot of flexibility in there, and we'll do what we have to do to administer very appropriately the plans that are needed for this nation. And it is my executive experience that is partly to be attributed to my pick as V.P. with McCain, not only as a governor, but earlier on as a mayor, as an oil and gas regulator, as a business owner. It is those years of experience on an executive level that will be put to good use in the White House also.

IFILL: Vice President Cheney's interpretation of the vice presidency?

BIDEN: Vice President Cheney has been the most dangerous vice president we've had probably in American history. The idea he doesn't realize that Article I of the Constitution defines the role of the vice president of the United States, that's the Executive Branch. He works in the Executive Branch. He should understand that. Everyone should understand that.

And the primary role of the vice president of the United States of America is to support the president of the United States of America, give that president his or her best judgment when sought, and as vice president, to preside over the Senate, only in a time when in fact there's a tie vote. The Constitution is explicit.

The only authority the vice president has from the legislative standpoint is the vote, only when there is a tie vote. He has no authority relative to the Congress. The idea he's part of the Legislative Branch is a bizarre notion invented by Cheney to aggrandize the power of a unitary executive and look where it has gotten us. It has been very dangerous...
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/02/debate.transcript/

I agree 100% with Biden. Also, Cheney should probably be in jail.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
Also, Cheney should probably be in jail.

Maybe if a new party gets power, he will be?

This is the power that Cheney sought to expand and so too apparently does Palin.
US_Constitution-Article_I said:
The Vice President of the United States shall be President of the Senate, but shall have no vote, unless they be equally divided.
The Senate shall choose their other officers, and also a President pro tempore, in the absence of the Vice President, or when he shall exercise the office of President of the United States.
Gosh. And she doesn't even have to be there either.

The pundits dismissed this as Palin rambling. Was it? She was pretty explicit.

Has Palin announced her intention to subvert the Constitution, as Bush and Cheney have done. If so, she is by defintion an enemy of the United States. If not, then her recklessness is staggering.

Her husband was involved with that group in Alaska that wanted to secede from the Union. Maybe neither one of them support the Constitution. Is she more interested in power than the rule of law? Based on Palin's statement, so it would seem.

Is this done with McCain's blessing? Has the old boy decided that he knows what's best and it can't be left to that pesky document?

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
The pundits dismissed this as Palin rambling. Was it? She was pretty explicit.

Has Palin announced her intention to subvert the Constitution, as Bush and Cheney have done. If so, she is by defintion an enemy of the United States. If not, then her recklessness is staggering.

No I think she's not against it so much as not understanding it. I think in her warped view, being spoon fed by the Cheney drones, that she fundamentally doesn't understand the dynamics of the Constitution and is fantasizing about some vain-glorious role for herself in an Administration that she will only ever be able to dream about until being sent back to Alaska a loser November 4.

I seem to recall that Lyndon Johnson, Walter Mondale and Al Gore all really knew their way around the Hill...might've even encouraged a few votes...here and there along the way?

No argument that Cheney was influential, Agnew (real crook), Ford, and Bush 1, as well. No shrinking violets in that group either.

Plus, I'm sure Biden knows more about Senate protocol than Palin...you know...how things are SUPPOSED TO BE...how things are done...he's certainly been part of (IT) for a long time?

As for Palin and a Constitutional conspiracy(?)...WOW! I'm speechless.

And to think I've been worried about Obama...not knowing much about his experience and affiliations and all? But since the debate, Biden has certainly addressed that concern...if (God forbid) something happened to Obama...Biden assured us he wouldn't do ANYTHING different than Obama has specified...WOW, again. There you go Joe...

WhoWee said:
As for Palin and a Constitutional conspiracy(?)...WOW! I'm speechless.

I'm not suggesting a conspiracy so much as a reckless disregard, as we have seen for the last six or seven years. Edit: But subversion is subversion. The law doesn't make dinstictions based on motive. The enemy is the enemy and THAT is clearly defined. Every soldier and politician swears to defend the Constitution.

In fact, I don't even have to suggest it. She has already demonstrated that much [a reckless disregard]. The question is: How deep does it go? She did belabor the point. And after what we have seen, I am amazed by almost nothing anymore.

Has McCain corrected her statements? Has he renounced her stated intentions?

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Also, Cheney should probably be in...sh has the authority as President to do that.

wildman said:
According to my neighbor (a professor of constitutional law), he won't go to jail. Bush will pardon him in advance for any crimes known or unknown. The professor said that believe it or not, Bush has the authority as President to do that.

Sure he has the power to do that but without any active investigation against him it would surely raise concerns that there might be something worth investigating.

Moreover, once he receives a Pardon, he has no power to invoke the 5th Amendment against self incrimination and can be compelled to answer all manner of questions against others.

Granting a Pardon is a careful what you wish for kind of thing.

Why is it you never hear or see a peep out of cheney?

Seriously. When was the last time you saw the guy on tv, or anything about him at all?

He's the fattest, whitest Ninja in history.

Well... besides Chris Farley, that is.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the powers and responsibilities of the Vice President?

The Vice President's main responsibility is to serve as the first successor to the President in the event of their death, resignation, or removal from office. They also preside over the Senate and have the power to cast tie-breaking votes. Additionally, the Vice President can advise the President on policy matters and serve as a representative for the administration.

2. Can the Vice President be impeached?

Yes, the Vice President can be impeached by the House of Representatives and tried by the Senate for "high crimes and misdemeanors," just like the President. However, this has never happened in history.

3. Can the Vice President be removed from office?

Yes, the Vice President can also be removed from office through the process of impeachment, or by resigning. They can also be removed if the President determines they are unable to fulfill their duties or if Congress passes a resolution declaring them unfit to serve.

4. What is the role of the Vice President in the legislative process?

The Vice President serves as the President of the Senate and can preside over debates and cast tie-breaking votes. They can also work with the Senate to advance the President's legislative agenda and advocate for policies they believe in.

5. How is the Vice President selected?

The Vice President is selected by the Presidential nominee during the party's national convention. They are then officially elected by the Electoral College along with the President. In the event of a vacancy, the President can nominate a new Vice President, who must be confirmed by a majority vote in both the House of Representatives and the Senate.